• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

school me on tires

85xjproject

NAXJA Forum User
like,how can you tell if they are 15 or 16 inches,what the hell is bolt pattern and so on.thanks guys.oh what is max tire size for the 2 door xj?

If the rim is 15 or 16 inches? Just read the tire ie 35x12.50 R15 - 15 inch rim
or 235/75/R16 -16 inch rim.

30's sometimes fit with no lift, depends on how much your springs have sagged. Bolt pattern, xj is 5x4.5

-Alex

I put 30x9.50x15's on my 89 2dr when it was stock. It differs from jeep to jeep as not everyones springs are worn (sagging) the the same.

For a stock rig you can comfortably fit 235/75/R15 some folks will tell you that a 30 x 9.50 will fit but I'll tell you from personal experience, they'll rub and will look wierd (as in stuffed in there). To run 30's you'll need a 2" BB and may need to adjust your steering stops on the knuckle.

Now for some schoolin'

235 = width of the tire in millimeters.
75 = Aspect ratio (in other words 75% of the width) or 176.5 millimeters of sidewall from the edge of the rim to the flat of the tread (where the rubber meets the road). different tire manufacturers made bigger or smaller tires but they may still be rated 65, 70 or 75 and not actually measure out with a tape measure or caliper. Also a tire with a more agressive tread may be larger where a "all weather" highway tire may be smaller.

R = Radial

15 = Rim (wheel) size.

30X9.50 = 30" tall (in diameter) though most 30's are only about 28-29" and 9.5" wide.

Bolt Pattern = on a 4 lug it's the diagonal measurement from one lug to the opposite lug, not the adjacent one. Same with a 6 lug or an 8 lug (even numbers y'see). With a 5 lug it's the measurement from one lug across the wheel to a mid point between the furthest lug.

On our XJ's that's 5x4.5 OR 5 lugs with the measurement of 4.5 inches.

If you're not clear on that or have any questions click this link:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=92

P.S. Stay in school!!

Im runing a 4in lift with 35/12.50/15's on stock 15x7 rims. only the front fenders are cut. they do run a little on the control arms when turning sharp. so need to get some 15x8's with a better off set.

05-11-08_1549.jpg

05-11-08_1550.jpg

05-11-08_1552.jpg

I can't imagine that the rears don't rub like crap when flexing (if you flex it). Do they stuff into the well?, cause it almost looks photoshopped on the rear. The wheel wells look pretty small for those tires.

I'm running a 3.5" lift with 31's and my rears baaaarly tuck in there on a slow trail. 4" seems kinda short for 35's. Unless you're planning to trim the rear as well.

JMHO

I've put 31X10.5 on my stock 90 laredo and only have tire rub when turning sharp. Not to bad but a small BB would have helped and made it look alot better.

anyone know how wide 33" 13.5" 15" ltb's REALLY are thanks

Back