• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 Extended Idle

Dave41079

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched and read and then some. On the 1996's everything I've found says to ground pin A12(dark blue/orange) into the PCM to activate the high idle. I tried this and nothing happened. I know I'm not alone here because in this thread http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79549&highlight=extended+idle+ecu+pin CommandoXJ96 was having this same problem. I have not yet found a solution and was wondering if anyone knew what I could do to make it work. I've thought about tapping into the cruise module and playing with that to get it to work, but it's just an idea being tossed around right now and nothing I've actually put much thought into. I'd rather go with the simple version of being able to ground a pin to the PCM.

I use my a/c switch to kick my idle up...I think it runs about 2 or 3 hun more rpm..I installed a switch between the lead wire to the compressor.. This keeps the a/c comp from running, it just kicks my fan on an idle up. HTH

Dave41079 said:
I've searched and read and then some. On the 1996's everything I've found says to ground pin A12(dark blue/orange) into the PCM to activate the high idle. I tried this and nothing happened. I know I'm not alone here because in this thread http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79549&highlight=extended+idle+ecu+pin CommandoXJ96 was having this same problem. I have not yet found a solution and was wondering if anyone knew what I could do to make it work. I've thought about tapping into the cruise module and playing with that to get it to work, but it's just an idea being tossed around right now and nothing I've actually put much thought into. I'd rather go with the simple version of being able to ground a pin to the PCM.

I have to conclude that the '96 year model is different. I spent several hours with the help of an FSM to make my XJ idle higher but to no avail. The wires are in the correct place on the PCM and of the correct colour but they terminate different places that have nothing to do with the idle speed of the 4.0L.
What I am saying is, if your wiring is anthing like mine, this is literally impossible without major re-wiring in the engine compartment. When I add a winch, I will rig a hand trottle of some sort to raise the engine RPM's.

Well that doesn't sound too promising. I'll try to play around with the cruise idea some more then. I don't like hand throttles, that would be a last resort for me.

I agree with you about the hand trottle. The thought of forgetting to return it to the idle position and then putting the AW4 in gear on a hill is a bit scary At he same time, I do not want to mess with the cruise control unless I am certain it would not mess up anything, and the RPM will return to idle when the AW4 is in gear.
I spend most of my time at highway speed with the cruise on. On my XJ, the cruise is the "Holy (sacred) Cow". Touch it and you are dead. :hang: I would however, be happy to get something that is idiot proof that would raise the engine RPM's when I am out of the XJ.

techno1154 said:
I agree with you about the hand trottle. The thought of forgetting to return it to the idle position and then putting the AW4 in gear on a hill is a bit scary At he same time, I do not want to mess with the cruise control unless I am certain it would not mess up anything, and the RPM will return to idle when the AW4 is in gear.
I spend most of my time at highway speed with the cruise on. On my XJ, the cruise is the "Holy (sacred) Cow". Touch it and you are dead. :hang: I would however, be happy to get something that is idiot proof that would raise the engine RPM's when I am out of the XJ.

That's why I'd like to go the cruise route. With an electronically controlled switch it could be tied into the NSS to only work in park or neutral. I've just got to figure out what electronically tells the cruise control how far to open. I see being able to do this with a few simple parts once I get it all worked out, so I'll keep you posted.

I've done a lot of work on this too for my 93. No luck on the OBD 1 with a prewired circuit that you just have to ground like OBD 2's. I had no cruise on mine so I used the cruise unit from my 87 to rig up a high idle switch. Not the easiest but doable nontheless. Let me know if you're interested. Works like a dream for winching or with the OBA.

Definitely interested. I'd like to be able to flip a switch and be able to idle around 1500rpms. How did you wire the cruise control to work to raise your idle?

Back