• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help help help need front 44

Timmy2XJS

NAXJA Forum User
so i sorta kinda killed my 30, again. and i have the 44 in the back and id like to put a 44 in the nose. who has one, or where can i get one. any info would be so great.

I've got 2 front hp d44's, look on craigslist.org, ebay, junkyarddog.com, local junkyards, and use the search function for info. There's more info out there on a front d44 swap than a person could read in a weekend. I'm also just down the road from you, ouside lejeune.

Timmy2XJS said:
so i sorta kinda killed my 30, again. and i have the 44 in the back and id like to put a 44 in the nose. who has one, or where can i get one. any info would be so great.

Matching the width and lug bolt pattern to your D44 rear is going to be your issues. There aren't any front D44s with 5 on 4.5" lug pattern. You could run a full width D44 in front, and use spacers/adapters on the rear, but then you will need new wheels.

There are front D44s with the 5x4.5" BP, but you'd have to go down to Venezuela to get one. :)

I saw a Venezuelan front XJ D44 on eBay recently. I think it ended up going for over $2K.

And the Rubicon front D44 has the 5x4.5" BP. But those use some regular D30 parts.

Like Drifter said, a full-width front D44 is not a bolt-in affair. Takes time and money. It all depends on how much money you have and what your intentions are for your Jeep.

just buy a Jk 44 and a truss kit for the thing

yoiu can go with spidertrax wheel adapaters out back to make up the width diffrence

you will need new wheels witha 5 on 5.5

cutting and welding not included
then again no 44 is goin in without fab work

posssibly the rubi 44 but is weaker than the jk so why bother

Jk 44s have brittle tubes, google it and you'll see some awesome pics.:explosion

xjohnnyc said:
There are front D44s with the 5x4.5" BP, but you'd have to go down to Venezuela to get one. :)

I saw a Venezuelan front XJ D44 on eBay recently. I think it ended up going for over $2K.

And the Rubicon front D44 has the 5x4.5" BP. But those use some regular D30 parts.

Like Drifter said, a full-width front D44 is not a bolt-in affair. Takes time and money. It all depends on how much money you have and what your intentions are for your Jeep.

BTW 1975-1975 Dodge 1/2 ton pickups, Ramchargers and Trail Dusters use a 5 on 4.5" both pattern with unitized bearings. Those outers can be used until he changes the rear axle to a different bolt pattern. They aren't the strongest, but the inner C is the same on most D44's so upgrades are easy.

A 1977-? Ford or 1980-1993 Dodge 5 on 5.5 knuckle/hubs fit. Early 70's D44 and 10 bolt Chevy parts will swap and Jeep fullsize Wagoneer have a 6 on 5.5" pattern that can be used to swap parts. It is also the same as most of the mid 70's- late 80's D44 3/4 ton 8 lug pattern parts will also fit.

so i just read everything crash has about the 44. wow so much killer info. now just as a heads up, i have absolutely no welding experience, so building all thin\s by my self is outta the question. but that doesn't mean that i wouldn't be in the middle of it while is was being built.

buying one built is outta the question because a) im poor and b) im in the military*really poor* and c) wife and kid comes first.

so now i ask, what does it take to build a "super 30"? other than gobs of money?:skull1:

You'd need a 30-spline locker. Detroit, ARB, and OX are your choices. Then some 30-spline shafts. A complete kit runs about $1500 or so. Then you have to add labor.

Timmy2XJS said:

Sams offroad
Currie

xjohnnyc said:
You'd need a 30-spline locker. Detroit, ARB, and OX are your choices. Then some 30-spline shafts. A complete kit runs about $1500 or so. Then you have to add labor.

Detroit isnt an option, just ARB or OX. I had to ditch my detroits and go ARB's to get the spline counts I wanted front and rear.

WaXJ_Skier said:
Jk 44s have brittle tubes, google it and you'll see some awesome pics.:explosion

Those appear to all be early 2007 builds, newer ones arent having the same problems.

VegasAnthony said:
just buy a Jk 44 and a truss kit for the thing

yoiu can go with spidertrax wheel adapaters out back to make up the width diffrence

you will need new wheels witha 5 on 5.5

cutting and welding not included
then again no 44 is goin in without fab work

posssibly the rubi 44 but is weaker than the jk so why bother

5x5, not 5x5.5. ;)

Back