• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 tcu?

dial_family3

NAXJA Forum User
about to start a 4wd conversion and trying to find out if the tcu for the the transmission in my 97 is the same as the 89 tcu or do i have to swap them?

dial_family3 said:
about to start a 4wd conversion and trying to find out if the tcu for the the transmission in my 97 is the same as the 89 tcu or do i have to swap them?

I think (don't hold me to it just yet...) that the TCU was integrated into the PCM for OBD-II in 1996. That doesn't really change the function of the AW4 - but I'm more certain there's an extra sensor in the AW4 for OBD-II (1996-up) than there was in the earlier versions.

Also, I'm assuming you're getting the transfer case with that 1989 box? Makes things easier - since it's even odds whether it's a 21-spline or 23-spline output...

5-90 said:
I think (don't hold me to it just yet...) that the TCU was integrated into the PCM for OBD-II in 1996. That doesn't really change the function of the AW4 - but I'm more certain there's an extra sensor in the AW4 for OBD-II (1996-up) than there was in the earlier versions.

Also, I'm assuming you're getting the transfer case with that 1989 box? Makes things easier - since it's even odds whether it's a 21-spline or 23-spline output...

i am transfering the tranny and tcase as a unit. so i guess i will not have to transfer the tcu, just use the one already in the 97

dial_family3 said:
i am transfering the tranny and tcase as a unit. so i guess i will not have to transfer the tcu, just use the one already in the 97

Correct - but there's that possible extra sensor to worry about. The 1989 is RENIX (pre-OBD,) so if there's an OBD-I or OBD-II sensor involved, I know it won't be in the 1989 box! Check carefully.

Also, your 1997 may have an electronic speedometer, and the 1989 Speedo output from the tcase will be mechanical. I don't know if they can be swapped, but I rather doubt it...

5-90 said:

The TCU was always seperate. It did move over to the drivers side of the dash in the later years. The 89 TCU won't even plug into the harness without some major hacking as the connector changed. Keep the TCU and NSS with the vehicle. You will need to drop the pan and filter on the tranny to unplug and swap over the solenoid wiring harness. The AW4 should bolt up. The AW4 sensors changed a bit in 98, but I think you're okay with the 97. Aside from the spline count change, the 89 AW4 will have a 0.75 OD versus the 0.705 for the 97.

Or did I get this backwards and you're putting the 97 tranny into the 89?

what does NSS:dunno: stand for? and so i don't mess this up, i should leave all the boxes where they are. drop the pan and filter on both trannys and then swap electronics.

dial_family3 said:
what does NSS:dunno: stand for? and so i don't mess this up, i should leave all the boxes where they are. drop the pan and filter on both trannys and then swap electronics.

NSS is the neutral safety switch on the side of the tranny. http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

Yes, leave the trans computers where they are (up under the dash, btw). They need to match the engine computer, rather than the tranny. Swap the wiring harnesses over.

The tranny harness and NSS wiring come up to a a pair of connectors on the passenger side of the firewall. Those connectors changed between the years. To unplug the harness from the solenoids inside the tranny, you have to drop the pan and filter. Or if you can figure out the wiring colors, you could cut and splice the connectors, but I think that's more work.

have fun wiring an 89 tranny into a 97. FYI 97 is the bastard year and only 97s will swap without wiring mods. I just went through all this on my 99 XJ and 97 XJ. Swapped tranny's in both. 2wd to 4wd.

and there is no difference between 2wd and 4wd TCUs they are identical. its all in the mounting to the t-case, nothing electronic changes.

smartazz19 said:
have fun wiring an 89 tranny into a 97. FYI 97 is the bastard year and only 97s will swap without wiring mods. I just went through all this on my 99 XJ and 97 XJ. Swapped tranny's in both. 2wd to 4wd.

and there is no difference between 2wd and 4wd TCUs they are identical. its all in the mounting to the t-case, nothing electronic changes.

If you were going between 97 and 99, you will have difficulties since you have to deal with the sensor changes that happened in 98. Going between a 97 and 89 he shouldn't have to deal with that.

In your case, I assume you discovered that the 99 tranny has an extra sensor in the tranny for the input shaft speed. The rear sensor also changed. Did you swap over the TCUs and wiring? That would be a pain in the butt. I went through something similar swapping a 99 AW4 into my 89 manual. Learned quite a lot about how the AW4 is controlled too.

I have a 99XJ and a 97XJ. I got the correct year trannies for both. But i had shift solenoid problems on my 97 so i read a ton about wiring and TCUs. On the bright side I have spare 97 and 99 TCUs now.

Back