• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Roof Rack not moving

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
Is it common for the roof rack rails to jam and not be able to move? I have never tried to move them before but I just got a bike rack and I need to move one of the rails forward (both are in the back). But the buttons are stuck and wont budge. Do I just need to spray some WD-40 in there or something to get things moving again? Any info or advice would be nice. Thanks.

yea, wd-40 or pb blaster. most likely the buttons are just stuck cuz they havent been used in forever, or the track stuf is durty, so spray the inside of the track stuff out pretty good.

Should I use a penetrating lubricant like WD-40 or PB - Blaster? Or I do have white Lithium Grease, but that should be used after I have everything moving huh…

Edit: what would be the best thing to clean it with? would going to a wash bay and using a power washer on the soap setting work? or would a brake cleaner / carb cleaner work the best? those shouldent damage the paint should they? (not that my jeep is in the best looking condition...)

i'd just use soap and water. the rest of the stuff is just a lil too abrasive, IMHO

wash it well, then use the pb or wd-40.

allow it to sit for a day or two, spray it every couple of hours, let it soak well, then try again. make sure you have the bars horizontal, otherwise they'll bind

I ended up having to pop the cover off mine and lift the catch manually. Hard to explain, but you'll understand what I mean if you pop the cover off. If I had to lubricate something, I'd rather use a penetrating lubricant like PB Blaster instead of a water-displacing spray...

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yucca-Man said:
I ended up having to pop the cover off mine and lift the catch manually. Hard to explain, but you'll understand what I mean if you pop the cover off. If I had to lubricate something, I'd rather use a penetrating lubricant like PB Blaster instead of a water-displacing spray...

After doing that were you able to use the buttons like normal or do you always have to pop the cover off to lift the catch?

If I remember correctly, I had to leave the cap off one while the others moved fine. They're gone now; I have Thule crossbars on there and only kept two of the factory uprights to use as additional tie-points when needed.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

do the 96'+ year sliders fit on the older rails? the black plastic button just are falling offand not even really working. I was able to get them to slide though.

It really helps to have two people to move the crossbarrs. One person can slide one and tweak the other where it won't move. But like others have said, and my wife always reminds me, clean and lubricated always works better than brute force. Wink, wink.

Evidently this applies to more than just XJ's....

My wife's van rack is a pain too.....

I just soak it for a day or two with PB'laster, and it moves just fine....

BTW, I would like a rack for my XJ, if someone is willing to part with one, I would gladly take of there hands (for the right price of course).

Inside the factory roof rack adjuster!

I have the same problem on my my '98, the rear bar won't move, the adjuster release buttons acted like they were solid, without any ability to be pressed inward, what-so-ever. Tried WD-40, tried Kroil, tried BFH, nothing worked.

So...with a thin screwdriver, I managed to work the buttons out from the upright's slots that they are supposed to slide in and out of. There were some fussy little, sort of "L" shaped metal straps that slip onto the adjuster's spring & plunger. It appears they are supposed to move inward with the push of the button, and thereby raise and release the plunger and spring so that the rack's upright can slide along the rail.

Problem is, when I pried out the buttons, apparantly I broke the little plastic nibs on bottom and top of button, that apparantly keep the button from popping completely out of the upright when spring tension in released.

In otherwords, these appear to be non-repairable. :nono: At least not by prying the buttons out to "see what's wrong" with the fiddly little things. Its interesting to note, the spring and plunger were completely clean, and moved up and down freely. The problem seemed to be in the relationship of the metal strap & the plastic button. If the strap has somehow "fallen" out of proper position/angle in relation to the button, no amount of pressure or lube on the button will have the slightest impact on releasing the plunger!

I could not put the two pieces back into the upright in any combination of attempts that would work more than one time before either the strap "fell"out of position again and the button could not be pressed in, or, when spring tension on the plunger was released, as when the plunger locked into a hole on the rail, the metal strap would pop the button right out of its slot.

Hope my description helps, Its a lot simpler to look at than describe. If there is interest, I'll try to take a digital photo or two, and post them?

In the meantime, I' just leaving the buttons and straps off. I can reach into the upright with needle nose pliars, or a screw-driver, and push the plunger up to move the rack forward and back. Not elegant, but, cheap! If I find some working uprights at the junkyard, I may replace them, or, if someone has a better fix, I would like to try it. :laugh3:

Allred

Back