• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Missing upper half rear main seal.........

78/xj88

NAXJA Forum User
Ok the upper half of my rear main seal that is in the block is not there WTF do i try and put the new seal in or what i am so lost? Everywere that i read and common sense tells me it should be there but its not.:helpme:

OK it must have been messed with before it is all gone on the ends oh well i got the rest of it out i cant belive it was put back like that oh well thats why they sold me the jeep for 600 bucks

Sounds like someone tried to change the seal and only ripped the ends off. It must have leaked pretty badly.

oh well...

makes me really glad i didnt do my rear main seal. i paid our local shop in town to do it. they had to chisel the pan off cuz someone used the wrong permatec, then they had to beat the pan back straight...........but i no longer have a rear main leak:D

Saudade said:
Sounds like someone tried to change the seal and only ripped the ends off. It must have leaked pretty badly.

I had a shop do that to me. I had a shop do the seal as it was leaking pretty bad, we were leaving on a long trip the next week, and I have my arm in a sling. It leaked worse after they replace the seal, and they kept trying to blame the CCV for the leak. I finally re-did it myself a few months later only to discovered they didn't replace the upper half, chipped the bearing cap surface, and didn't even put all the oil pan bolts back in. They had the nerve to try and tell me that the new seal had two different colored halves and thats why the upper half was black and the bottom half brown. Idiots.

ladywolf said:
makes me really glad i didnt do my rear main seal. i paid our local shop in town to do it. they had to chisel the pan off cuz someone used the wrong permatec, then they had to beat the pan back straight...........but i no longer have a rear main leak:D

Out of curiosity, how much did it cost to get the rear main done at your local shop? I'm trying to figure out what is considered a "reasonable" cost for this...

It was all gunked up so i cleaned it and it looks like there is a very small peice of the block missing on the bottom edge of groove on the pass side GREAT...............
I might as well stop what im doing and look for a new block

It SUCKS. Keep at it it took me a while wedge and pry repeat i was being to shy with mine. But now i have this chiped groove :smsoap: no wonder i leaked so bad

MJCfromCT said:
Out of curiosity, how much did it cost to get the rear main done at your local shop? I'm trying to figure out what is considered a "reasonable" cost for this...

honestly i dont know. i had them do a complete tuneup, and do a whole bunch of other stuff as well, and just had my dad cut em a check. they also had the time to do it as they had time, as they had other projects that were more time sensitive than my jeep as it were

this is not mine as i have taken a shower and am not going under there but right were the arrow on the left is pointing there was some rtv up there also that is part of why it looked like seal was missing cause it pulled it out when i took the main cap off

rearmain09.jpg

I'd finish replacing the RMS. You can do a search on it ,or the the site where you got the pic is a good write up. See if it still leaks after replacing b-4 thing about changing blocks. The pic looks normal to me, but I don't know what yours looks like.

OK, so that's NOT your pic? Somebody butchered the oil seal valley but good!! It's important to use a soft metal punch like brass to pound the crap out of the seal so it won't mar the block or crank.

I bent and peened mine over many times before the seal finally broke loose. Once loose, it slipped right out.

1a-1.jpg

Its not a good pic but you can see the damage. Now the jeep leaked when i got it then after about 1500 mile i put on it it started leaking bad so this must be why it leaked so bad.

Last edited:
78/xj88 said:
Its not a good pic but you can see the damage. Now the jeep leaked when i got it then after about 1500 mile i put on it it started leaking bad so this must be why it leaked so bad.

Hey, that's exactly where the SOB mechanic damaged mine. I guess I should be thankful he didn't gouge up the crank.

Back