• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pan Secrets

78/xj88

NAXJA Forum User
Oil Pan Removal Secrets.......

Yall got any i cant get mine off !!! Been out there since 9 30 trying to do rear main seal but cant get pan off :confused: I have beat it pryed it to no avail. This is not my first stuck pan but it is the worse one and i am fed up so while i washed up for so lunch figured i would post my woes

PB would that help??? Its not rust tho...:huh:

I ended up just using a thin wide chisel and hammer to split the gasket seam in the front right corner and the rest came off easy. Then bent that corner back to flat once it was out. 2k miles since and no leaks. I did use a little RTV to make sure the new gasket sealed though.

I did that. Thats what i dont get this thing is STUCK.....
Maybe i am being to gentle ha its my baby tho
I will get it off sooner or later just figured i would share

My '88 was stuck too. I used a thin but strong putty knife. I started at one corner and just kept working my way carefully around. Once I got about 1/4 of it free, I was able to wedge the free end open and was able to make quicker progress. Once I was half way, it popped. Took me, as I recall, about an hour and a half. Then I had to deal with the old gasket stuck on both side. Took nearly an hour to scrape and wire brush clean.

Then, of course, came the hammering to straighten the flange. ;) I thought it would never go back together. This was also the dirtiest job I've done on it.

Well, at least you got the pan off.

Funny I am in here also looking for secrets to get my pan off the 87... Ugh I got a 1/4 of it popped and I am already bending the hell out of the flange also. Hopefully it will pop soon... Do you actually HAVE to remove the starter to do the rear main?

XJ Stryker said:
Funny I am in here also looking for secrets to get my pan off the 87... Ugh I got a 1/4 of it popped and I am already bending the hell out of the flange also. Hopefully it will pop soon... Do you actually HAVE to remove the starter to do the rear main?

Makes it a bit easier, I usually remove more than I have to. I've found removing the starter and the downpipe (exhaust crossover pipe) can make things much easier in the long run.

I used two flat wood chisels and a hammer, kind of walked them down the sides from front to rear. I didn't bend up the flange too much. I made sure it was pretty darned flat before I tried to reinstall it. Used a flat board, some 3/4" thick wooden blocks and some plastic body hammers to straighten it back up. Tried not to pound on it any more than necessary.

I don't recall removing the starter but it's like 5 minutes (or less) to pull it. If it even looks like it's in the way, it's faster to remove it. By the time you read this, you may have already gotten past this, so this is "for the record". ;)

Thanks for posting this 78/xj88... I did it without removing the starter but i had to virtually yank the pan out gonna be a bitch to put back in. Mother's day today so I wont be working on the truck again till tomorrow. I am gonna take it slow putting it all back together. this is not a DD so i have the time

No sweat XJ Stryker my woes are somebody elses woes We are one big family with the same proplems God its great to own a XJ..........
I might go out there in a few to torque down main but no one around here has the one piece gasket so i have to wait till monday. A family friend owens a small engine parts store he gave me the wrong one on friday he has the right one but i have to wait till monday.

Last edited:
I dont know if you saw 5-90 post on a diff thread. He recommended glueing the seal to the top of the block and letting it sit over night. I am thinking that is what i will do becuase i can see this seal being a PIA to get in place with the seal loose.

Back