• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dumd electrical questiion

89CAXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at a toggle switch that I found in one of my parts boxes.
1 wire for ground
1 wire for power
1 wire for load

I know ground, I know power, load?

How should I connect this for an electric fan switch?

Thanks,

Mike

The power is the wire that comes from the breaker, it moves thru the switch when the contacts are closed and feeds power to the load, which would be then fan. In your electrical box you should have two sheathed cables. ONe cable comes from a power source, the other goes up to the fan. Each cable should have three wires. The grounds need to be hooked together and a jumper should be hooked to the switch ground terminal. The neutral wires should be hooked together and not hooked to the switch. The power wire coming from the power source should hook to one terminal on the switch and the power wire going to the fan should hook to the other terminal of the switch. That switch you describes is a single pole switch and only has one set of contacts and it really doesnt matter which wire of the two power wires is hooked to which terminal, but thats another lesson all together. The neutral wires are white the ground wires should be bare and the hot wires or power wires are black. Hope that helps....

Are you planning on having the load wire running directly to the fan or to activate a relay that turns the fan on? Best way would be have a relay that can handle the current requirements of the fan. Then hook the load contact of the switch to the activating contact on relay to send power to fan.

The neutral wires are white the ground wires should be bare and the hot wires or power wires are black. ????? Sounds like you're thinking more along the lines of household electrical wiring than car wiring.

Last edited:
You know i just realized your talking about in your jeep. Haha, im an electrician so that was my first thought. The load would be the wire going to the fan and the power is the wire that brings power to your switch.

yes,

Its for my jeep. I found a 3 wire 30A switch with ground, power and load, and wasnt sure how to connect it. I hadnt planned on running it to a relay.

Back