• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 Person Tent

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
Looking to upgrade to a quality tent, but not looking to spend too much. It will be for either myself or with my girlfriend. Mostly will be carried in my Jeep with us (not hiking or backpacking) so weight is not a huge issue for us.

Just curious what all of you are using, and what you like about it?

I certainly want something easy to setup, and being waterproof would probably be good, too :)

So....what do you recommend?

(...and no, I am not interested in a RTT)

The best tent I've ever bought is an REI Half Dome. I got it when I was a scout back in 1996, after I saw how easy the one my friend had went up.

Probably the best investment I've ever made in camping gear. I'm still using the tent today, and I am a very heavy user of my camping equipment (now a scout leader).

Its a bit pricey at $109.00 but its a quality piece of equipment. I can set it up myself no problem, and I finally put my first tear in the pole guide holes this year.

http://www.rei.com/product/728308

As for waterproofing, a rain fly works great for that IMO. You can also just get some scotch guard for it.

IslanderOffRoad said:
Its a bit pricey at $109.00 but its a quality piece of equipment. I can set it up myself no problem, and I finally put my first tear in the pole guide holes this year.

i guess i should be more specific on my pricing. i'm looking to spend between $100-200.....I am not looking to spend $300+ on a tent....so your recommendation is right in my price range. thanks

Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead 2

We have the Hammerhead 3 (Me, wife and 65# labrador).

We've had it in rain, snow, high winds in rain and snow.

Quality construction that will last. After seeing some of the summer weather that CO can throw at you a tent would not be where I want to skimp on quality.

For a basic two person tent, I highly recommend a Coleman. Sure, you're not going to spend a bunch of cash, but I can attest that ours has been absolutley great.

I gave my wife a bad time for buying a "cheap" Coleman when she got it, but it has been excellet.

Fairly easy to put up, completely rainproof with the rainfly on, and very easy on the wallet.

I think ours is called an "Alpine", but it looks a lot like this one, just in a differnt color:
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000000133&categoryid=11020

I think she got it for $35 about 10 years ago.

We've taken that tent to many many places, and used it many times. We've weathered Sierra thunderstorms, including a minor flood once (and we stayed totally dry inside), and huge wind storms in the desert. We've used it easily 100 nights (plus it's been loaned out several times), and it has never given me any problems at all. It still works good as new.

I have 3 other tents, and this one has held up as well as any, $100+ tent I have.

Randy,
Stay away from REI, if their politics concern you, I've heard some pretty bad things about their views on public lands. Its been mentioned several times here and over at ExPo.

Scratch that... after searching both for the last half-hour I can't find anything. It must have been just another bad dream. I can start shopping at REI again!

Last edited:
We're really happy with our Eureka! 4-person tent. It sets up quickly with one person (although it is easier with 2) and I really like the fact it has 8 stake straps, so no worries about wind.

Have you looked into tent cots? There is a decent thread on ExPo on that subject, I have been thinking about picking a single-wide for solo Jeep trips.

Prepmech said:
Randy,
Stay away from REI, if their politics concern you, I've heard some pretty bad things about their views on public lands. Its been mentioned several times here and over at ExPo.

Scratch that... after searching both for the last half-hour I can't find anything. It must have been just another bad dream. I can start shopping at REI again!

I remember what you are talking about and it was something about how they wanted to close trails for vehicles and have them only open to hikers or something.

iluv83vettes said:
I remember what you are talking about and it was something about how they wanted to close trails for vehicles and have them only open to hikers or something.
All you have to do is walk into an REI to see what their politics are like.

Locally the 4wd clubs are pretty vocal about them and they are pretty much on any locals DO NOT SHOP black list.

hey randy...

i have a kelty gunnison 4 i'd be happy to let go... used it twice so it's still like brand new...

40461004_NF.gif

40461004.gif

40461004_FP.gif

Kelty is a respected manufacturer, you should be happy with your purchase.

Glad to see you went with a 4 person tent, as a rule i always cut the capacity in half to get an idea of how many can fit with some comfort and space for gear.

As much as i would like to have a really good tent. My 20 dollar wally world special will work excellent for me:D

Back