• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SUA..whats involved?

ninobrn99

NAXJA Forum User
Ive tried doing a search to find a how to, but couldnt come up with anything that was a write up. What is involved in going SUA? What parts are needed? this isnt for a lift. Its to lower my COG.

Any particular reason you're doing this? You'll also need shorter springs for the front, and you may need shorter shocks as well (since you're going to be effectively lowering the vehicle by 2-1/2" to 3".)

You'll need to relocate the leaf spring perches on the rear axle to below the tube, and you'll also want to reverse the "centreing pins" in the leaves (from a "head down" attitude to a "head up" - there's a hole that the head fits into in the perch. Either that, or bore the hole in the perch out enough that you can get the nut to sit in there, vice the head of the bolt.)

I'm cranky enough that I'd want to get a small plate and drill/counterbore it to protect whichever end of the centreing pin sticks out the bottom, and I'd just use new hardware as well (5/16" socket head bolt and nut, IIRC.) Use a small steel plate about the same width as the spring (2-1/2"?) drill and counterbore the centre of the plate to pass the bolt and have the head fully recessed below the surface of the plate. Chamfer the edges - the ones parallel to the spring can be lightly chamfered to break the corner, the ones at the fore and aft edges should be heavily chamfered (45-60*) the full thickness of the plate so you're less likely to hang up on anything.

The previous paragraph assumes you can't guarantee that it's not going to spend any time off-road.

Also, you'll want to protect the ends of the U-bolts retaining the springs - same reason applies.

If it's for a "street only" vehicle, it's not a lot of work. If it's intended for an off-road vehicle, you're better off leaving the springs where they are - SOA - and note that most people who build pickup trucks tend to switch from a SUA to an SOA configuration as well - there's a reason for this.

5-90 said:
You'll also need shorter springs for the front, and you may need shorter shocks as well (since you're going to be effectively lowering the vehicle by 2-1/2" to 3".)
Wouldnt it lower it by more then that? 3'' for axle tube, 1'' for the spring perch on top, and another 1'' for the spring perch on the bottom. Which is 5''?Hope you want some super arched leaf springs.

Starboard M said:
Wouldnt it lower it by more then that? 3'' for axle tube, 1'' for the spring perch on top, and another 1'' for the spring perch on the bottom. Which is 5''?Hope you want some super arched leaf springs.

Probably - I hadn't based that number on any measurements, just a quick-and-dirty guess...

Thanks for answering the lowering and its effect on COG. It will be all street. Im not really looking to go super low on it. Just a couple inches. I was planning on doing TJ springs up front but with the drop in the rear, i think it'll look like its sagging in the rear. Then id have to spend on the f150 springs.

I just installed some bilstein HDs, so I dont want to have to get new shocks when i got them already. There is some room to play with on the HDs and lowering, but not a whole lot. The valving is pretty specific. The main reason im doing this is to minimize body roll overall. Swaybars will be done later, so between the two it should reduce it quite a bit.

I wanted to build my own CA's and switch over to aluminum. Im working on all the details for that as we speak. Looking for all the right parts that will hold up to the task.

I was looking for about 2" up front and 3" in the rear. That should keep things pretty well off and still clear bumps and curbs.

Sounds like someone is trying to make a low-rider XJ

:flame:

Well, as was said earlier, if you go SUA you're gonna lower it at least 5 inches right off the bat - and your new shocks wont be worth anything. You'll need to run much smaller tires.

Get heavier sway bars and some super gas charged shocks....but ya know XJs weren't built to compete with Lancers, etc...its not a ricer...

JNickel101 said:
Well, as was said earlier, if you go SUA you're gonna lower it at least 5 inches right off the bat - and your new shocks wont be worth anything. You'll need to run much smaller tires.

Get heavier sway bars and some super gas charged shocks....but ya know XJs weren't built to compete with Lancers, etc...its not a ricer...
Unless he gets some lift packs and swaps the center pin around. 5'' lift leaves with a SUA would give a stockish height. Give or take.

Whats the reasoning behind the aluminum CAs?

lighter, better flex and no binding on turns. I know its not a ricer and i wouldnt drive one (I had a camaro and trans am) Im not trying to race or auto cross the damn thing! Im trying to make a more comfortable ride. I know a lifted XJ or TJ isnt the smoothest car to be in. Death wobble and the sort arent my thing.

Its more than 5",its 1/2 an axle+the perch+the sspring pack height+the perch+1/2 the axle!

For reference, gong SOA on an MJ gives you 5.5 to 6" of lift depending on how you do the spring perch. I measured 5.5" over stock some time after I had done this, but that includes slightly sagged rear springs. It's only my peronsal opinion, but I think lowering an XJ is a waste.

Back