• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flowmaster 50 series SUV Muffler

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
I searched a little and saw a few people on here had them on their XJs, so I've got a couple questions for those that do/did.

Did you put one on a '97-'98 truck, and did the computer give you trouble?

When you swapped over, did you stay 2 1/4" and if so was there a noticeable change in driveabilty (everywhere and every condition), sound (both volume and tone), performance (with and without cargo), mileage (using same factors as before), Engine temps, etc?

How much work did it take to make the muffler work with O.E. or stock replacement tailpipes, or did you just have a custom tail pipe made to work with it?

What other performance related mods were done besides the muffler?

Were there any "legal" problem (police, emissions inspections, home owners associations, etc)?

Thanks for any info you can offer!

bjoehandley said:
I searched a little and saw a few people on here had them on their XJs, so I've got a couple questions for those that do/did.

Did you put one on a '97-'98 truck, and did the computer give you trouble?

I have an orginal 50 series not the delta flow on my 1995. No computer probs mine is OBDI, yours would be OBD2 i dont see how it would throw a code.

bjoehandley said:
When you swapped over, did you stay 2 1/4" and if so was there a noticeable change in driveabilty (everywhere and every condition), sound (both volume and tone), performance (with and without cargo), mileage (using same factors as before), Engine temps, etc?
I also have a borla header and i went to 2 1/2" pipes all the way through, no drivability issues, sound is louder at idle louder under full throttle, pretty aggressive sounding if you pound it on the entrance ramp on the freeway, then when you get to say 60-70 mph and steady speed it goes down in volume a few notches. No huge milage gain, maybe a fraction of a gallon per mile. No worrys over engine temp etc you dont have to worry about that at all with a properly sized flowmaster.

bjoehandley said:
How much work did it take to make the muffler work with O.E. or stock replacement tailpipes, or did you just have a custom tail pipe made to work with it?

I dint do stock pipes, but all you need is to order it with the proper inlet and oulet diameter.

What other performance related mods were done besides the muffler?

bjoehandley said:
Were there any "legal" problem (police, emissions inspections, home owners associations, etc)?

No legal problems its around as loud as your average off the floor new harley davidson. If you want quieter 50 series get the delta flow it offers more noise canceling and is less harsh than the 50 series.

Call the tech hotline at flowmaster , i did and they were helpful.

I have had mine since 2002 and its still rock solid. Flowasters are great mufflers.

You could MAYBE get a noise violation or draw a cops attention in a real snooty neighborhood, but i live in such a yuppiefied neighbor hood and i have never gotten a noise violation ticket.

Last edited:
I have a flowmaster 50 on my 96 but I have a 97 engine in it and I love it. Even my dad who has dual flowmaster 40’s wants to get them. My setup up is still stock exhaust, just switched out the muffler. This is my only performance mod and it does help give you better acceralation. I have had no problems with the computer and no legal problems. It is somewhat loud but still quieter than 40s or those big diesel trucks. Just get one, it is awesome.

ohh yeah i forgot to add the acelleration comment. Well in conjuction with a new k and n air filter, borla headers and the 50 series with 2 1/2 pupes all done at the same time, i would say it really takes off like crazy from about 20-55 compared to before when it was all stock. No science jsut seat of the pants.

i'm running a flowmaster and i'm loving it...don't know what series and don't care, i think it came off an older ford car, but it has been put to the test and i have broken pieces of my tail pipe off before i broke that thing. as far as i know its at least 10 years old and still there.
tried and true.

I have a 40 series on my 2000. It's a louder than stock, but noware near to loud to be hassled. I have the stock pipes, and noitced an imedate improvement in thottle response after it was installed. No codes have ever appeared in the three years it's been on.

I have a Flowmaster 50 and mandrel bent tail pipe from Rusty's Offroad on my 2000. Sounds a little bit louder than stock but not obnoxious, the tone is much lower with a rumble at idle. Added about 1/2 mpg highway and added some low end horsepower. Really makes the 60MM bored TB work well. Easy to install and fit the factory hangers perfectly. Runs cooler than the stock system and has no effect on the computer.

Had one on my ZJ, cheap welds on the front of it caused it to seperate it from the body of the muffler, and head into the ditch.

Back