• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thump!

dreher

NAXJA Forum User
Yeah, thats the noise that I get just after the auto transmission goes into second gear. It started after a quike take off from a light today. It doesnt always do it but it happenes enough that I am worried about it.

It is a 95xj I6HO Auto trans.

I am thinking about changing the fluid just to see if anything suspect comes out. Anything yall would recomend?
Thanks

DexIII or Amsoil ATF (I use their TorqueDrive)

check your fluid now - is it nice and bright red? Black? Brown? Does it smell burnt?

Welcome to NAXJA

It is red. Real pale though. Kinda transparent but it is still redish.
There is no burnt smell. Infact doesnt really have a smell.

Thanks for the welcome. I have been watch NAXJA for a dew months now and have found a lot of useful info.

If it maters, in the last week I took it on a localy trail. Nothing serious though. It did fine. Also I started towing my boat. Its only a 14ft and I didnt take it far so I dont think that it would have caused any issues.

I'll check that.
The weird thing is it doesnt always happen. Only on faster take offs. Not flooring it but like trying to get across a busy intersection. I just drove it around the block and now it is a lot softer but still there.

CHANGE YOUR FLUID AND FILTER!!!!

you are definately do for a filter/fluid change.

As for the thunp, check your motor mount and trans mount.....

BTW, welcome to the board!!

its a just a noise or do you feel something with it?

I'd venture tranny and motor mounts.

So I went to help a friend move some of her stuff and it is more constant now. I havent had a chance to get under it much.
I tried moving it back and forth with not much play at all but I didnt even think about wigglin front to back, will try that tomorrow.
I have been meaning to change the fluid. Where is the filter?
Gonna do the O-rings on the oil filter adapter tomorrow so I'll do the fluid/filter then.
I DEFINETLY feel the thump. At first it was real hard. I actually thought something was wrapped around the drive shaft and knocking on the floor board. Crawled under and only found a really small vine by the rear diff. nothing important. The knocking does feel like it is coming from just under the drivers side.
What should the motor/tranny mounts be torched to?
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the help.

That really sounds like a motor and trans mount to me. I had that same thump, kinda feels like its coming from right under your feet, like the front d/s is contacting the floor?

Buy some Brown Dogs or MORE's and an OE trans mount.

IslanderOffRoad said:
That really sounds like a motor and trans mount to me. I had that same thump, kinda feels like its coming from right under your feet, like the front d/s is contacting the floor?

Buy some Brown Dogs or MORE's and an OE trans mount.
Yeah thats how it feels. Sorry I am unframilair with Brown Dogs, MORE's. What are those?

If it is the chain how would I fix that? What should I look for in the fluid?
Gonna change that out first thing after the the inspection.

Tomorrow is dedicated to figuring this out so when inspecting the mounts what should I be looking for? Will they be broken, stretched, or is it just a loose or worn bolt?

Wow, does weather and work scheduling suck!
Today is the first day that it hasnt rained and I have been able to get of work with a bit of day light.
Checked out the motor and tranny mounts, they look fine but I only saw one tranny mount (on the crossmember of the frame) and a left and right motor mount. Are there more that I missed?
I went to change the transmision fluid and filter and noticed that there was a pipe? tube? whatever leading in to the pan. My chilton doesnt mention or show this.
Will it just pop off or unbolt when I remove the pan?
The noise is a ton quieter most of the time but I have also been really relaxed with the throtle. My MPG is great but I need to go fishing and I'm not hooking up the boat until I figure this out.
TIA
brendon

So I changed the fluid and filter today. So for futur referance is there a way to remove the fill line from the pan? I couldnt figure it out. Only haveing 3-4 inches of space sucks, and that is after I had to remove the support braket for the fill tube.
Now the noise is irregular. I didnt hear anything from it for the first 20min of test driving but then it came back. Happens even less now but still there.
I need this as a DD at the moment but want to keep it as a trail rig when I get out of school so any advice would be great!
How many motor mounts are there?

If you end up changing the O-rings in the oil filter adapter, consider doing the motor mount at the same time. You will have to remove the oil filter adapter to get the motor mount bolt out anyway...no sense in doing it twice.

there are 2 motor mounts and one tranny/tcase mount for the two... check control arm bushings too. if they are going out you could also get something like that ....

Sounds good yall. I was planning on doing the oil filter adapter in the next couple of days. Had the orings sitting in the center consil for over a week now.
So I've looked at the mounts and they look fine to me but I dont really know what I am looking for. If it is not split or in peices I have no idea. everything seems sturdy. Maybe the rubber is a bit worn but doesnt seem like it should be causing the violent sound I was hearing at first.

Back