• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick question

lonecountryboy

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
First post here and I can't seem to find what I am looking for hopefully someone has the technical expertise I need. Anyway I have an 88XJ that I will be lifting soon (RE 3.5") I will be putting on 31X10.50 15"s and was wondering if anybody had any information on the VSS sensor cause I know it will effect your MPG and other things like shift points? injector pulse's? anyway I know if you lift it it will throw that sensor off. I know it is looking for so many pulses per mile and with bigger tires that pulse train will be off which will effect the computer. Is there any fix for this such as a speed buffer? Has anybody had to do this or should I just not worry about it. I know I put a lift on a friends 00 chevrolet and we had to put a speed buffer on it to straighten out the VSS sensor and it made a huge difference in MPG's and power. I know the 88 has a cable driven speedo not an electric so it is two different problems the speedo needs regeared which I have found plenty of info on but none on the VSS sensor, so if anybody out there has any information on the VSS I would greatly appreciate it.

An 88 XJ will not have a VSS, so no worries. The speedo is controlled by a pinion gear in the tailhousing of the transfer case, and everything else is controlled by the PCM.

Back