• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56 gears with small tires?

rammie

NAXJA Forum User
I may be able to get a deal on 4.56 gears/axle but currently only have 235s and only plan to lift for 31s. Anything good/bad you can say about this possible set up?

The jeep is a part time DD and would see mostly trails and rocks, not much mud and nothing "extreme"

Just a question, for what axle? if your going to put the 4.56 in the D35 or the 27 spline 8.25 its not worth it. I would pickup the 4.56 for the d30. If you were lucky enough to find a XJ with the stock d44, yeah grab the deal. Just be carefull not to over run it speed wise on the stock tires.

It would be a little overgeared if you drive on the highway much, but around town it would be nice.

i just put 33's on mine 00. d30 front / 35 rear and i want to go to 4.56's. would i be good with 4.11's or stick with 4.56's. i drive on the highway a little bit, just to get to work an school, but stock gears and 33's arent workin out for me.

kidcuisine said:
i just put 33's on mine 00. d30 front / 35 rear and i want to go to 4.56's. would i be good with 4.11's or stick with 4.56's. i drive on the highway a little bit, just to get to work an school, but stock gears and 33's arent workin out for me.

Big Time Hasta, and you did hijack this thread. theres a million threads about this.

I run 3.73 with 265 and would go deeper if gas hadn't just hit $3.85 here.
With 31s it's going to be just about right for offing but your MPGs will still be down on the highway. Around town MPG maybe no different with 31. On 235 your engine will scream at 65 MPH. Plus you will may see some blowby.

I'm running 4.56 with 31" tires. I love it. 70 MPH is 2500RPM with an AW4 tranny.

With the AX-15 the RPM would be just over 2700 at 70 MPH. Too deep for my liking, a little better with the AW4 but still pretty low gearing for a 4.0L at highway speeds. I guess it depends on what the XJ will be doing most of the time.

Telling us what transmission you have would be a good start. Either that or look up one of the many gear ratio calculators available, see what RPM would be at your normal highway speed, and go run your rig at that RPM and see if you think it is too obnoxious to live with.

Friend ran 4.56s with 31s forever, and now he has 32s. I plan on doing 4.56s when I go to 33s. You may want to not install the gears til you get the 31s on...

Didn't mention that those RPM numbers were for 31's. With stock tires it would be way too low on the gearing IMO. Like the previouse poster said, I would at least wait until installing the 31's.

I run 33"s with 4.56 gears on my xj and love it with 33"s. I had to swap on 225s for a day to get a sticker recently and that was terrible. Couldnt go over 40 without the engine seeming to be working excessively. 31"s would prob be ok very good power, not so good mileage but I wouldnt go any smaller then 31"s with 4.56 and 33"s is about just right tire size for that gearing.

XJ AV8R said:
With the AX-15 the RPM would be just over 2700 at 70 MPH. Too deep for my liking, a little better with the AW4 but still pretty low gearing for a 4.0L at highway speeds. I guess it depends on what the XJ will be doing most of the time.

Telling us what transmission you have would be a good start. Either that or look up one of the many gear ratio calculators available, see what RPM would be at your normal highway speed, and go run your rig at that RPM and see if you think it is too obnoxious to live with.

I totally agree. I have an AX-15 and just put 4.56s in with my 33s and I wish I had gone with 4.10s. Too many RPMs at highway speeds for my liking as well.

im running 4.56s with 31s at the moment and its fine driving around town, lots of power. But on the highway is where you really notice it, At around 2200 rpm I'm cruising at 80km/h and it doesnt go much faster than that unless you really rev it up (I seem to get passed by every car going by when im on the highway). I almost don't want to change it because it drives real nice offroad and around town but the mileage is killing me and i just got some 33s

I think were all ignoring an important point, why put gears for bigger tires in a D35? For the 30 ok, but only if your going to match that to a differnt rear. IE, a 29 8.25 or a D44 or something like that. Its just MHO but why polish a turd? Spend the money on a good axle first then gears when you have an idea of what tire size you want. even if it is good deal.

I read through the thread and the OP never posted again after the first. I think he was getting the axle with the gears already installed. He actually never said what axle he was buying with 4.56's. I agree that I wouldn't toss a lot of money at a D35 either. It's strong enough to run on 31's without a locker so if the price is right for the setup, then maybe. Regearing an existing axle is spendy. If he is getting it really cheap it would probably perform OK...aside from the fact that he will be rapping out on the freeway.

I don't know...I guess we are suffering from a supreme lack of information concerning the situation...everybody is making good points and suggestions regardless.

smccollamjr said:
I've got an AX-15, 31s, and 4.10s. At 70mph I'm turning about 2400 rpms.

weird, my 89 with the peuguot 5speed(same 5th gear as the ax-15) 31s, and 4.10, at 65mph im turning exactly 2500 rpms and have the correct speedo gear.

Sorry, the axle is a 29 spline 8.25. Auto tranny. So far it sounds like it might be a bit too much gear since I would be on the highway and 55+mph backroads a lot. $100 for that axle with the 4.56s being pretty new seems like a good deal but I dont want to kill mileage and higher speed driveablity...

Thanks for all the input, tons of good info.

JUST BUY THE AXLES AND WAIT!!!!! 100 bux on a 4.56 gear 8.25 29 spline is a steal. someone spent between 500-1000 bux to get that axle that way and now they are sellin it for 100 bux. hell buy it and then resell it for 300 its still a steal at that price and you just made a 200% profit now you can go buy 2.5 tanks of gas LOL

Back