• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tent Site Prices

XJMK

aka boredchimp
I was just wondering if anyone else is coming across tent sites for $35+ a night. I didn't go camping at all last year bc my son popped out in July, but this year we're looking at camping and the prices for primitive are crazy.:scared: I seem to rememeber $7-12 a person for tenting.

I suppose I should have prefaced this with the fact that we're looking at WI parks, because I just remembered that I paid $7 a night for camping at Winterfest.

Aparently, WI campgrounds must just be more expensive than small Indiana ones that sit outside an ORP. Whatever, I just typed all this so I'm going to post it so you guys can read it.:anon:

I haven't noticed any upward trend in primitive campsite prices...

Arch Canyon/Utah- $0
orig.jpg

Imogene Basin/Colorado- $0
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Muley Twist Canyon/Utah- $0
orig.jpg

Lake Powell/Utah- $0
orig.jpg

Lake Como/Colorado- $0
orig.jpg

White Canyon/Utah- $0
orig.jpg

Thousand Island Lake/California- $0
orig.jpg

Coyote Lake/California- $0
orig.jpg

...but then maybe I am picking the wrong locations?!?

Re: I haven't noticed any upward trend in primitive campsite prices...

Handlebars said:
...but then maybe I am picking the wrong locations?!?

you obviously do not have much experience camping further east :laugh:

Not sure where he is looking to camp in WI, but unless he is lucky enough to be looking near Nicolet National Forest in northern WI, his options are going to be stuck paying for a private campground.

Indiana state parks, state forests and fish/wildlife areas are $6 Sun-Wed and $8 Thurs-Sat for primitive. Must just be WI.

Handlebars - I envy you.

I think $25-$35 is about the going rate for privately owned campsites. Search around for national and state parks. As was mentioned, they are almost always under $10 if not free. Also look for state and federal recreation areas and wildlife management areas.

You are from Illinois... Wisconsin doesn't want you, just pull up to border and throw your money over, and the Farve-ites would be happy then.

Sorry, but that is pretty close to going rate all over in Wisconsin, or at least from the state line up to the Dells... The owners like to stick it to tenters and charge us the same as the camper crowd...

I think the state park down the road from me is either up to $10 a night for class C. Class D might still be $8

Edit-> Class C is still $8 and Class D is $6.. for the entire state park system. Class B/S are $10.

Last edited:
Re: I haven't noticed any upward trend in primitive campsite prices...

Handlebars said:
Thousand Island Lake/California- $0
orig.jpg

That one may have been $0, but you certainly "earned" that one... it's a bit of a walk.

But worth it for sure!

w_howey said:
You are from Illinois... Wisconsin doesn't want you, just pull up to border and throw your money over, and the Farve-ites would be happy then.

I already learned that part. Maybe they could give me a discount since I was born in Kenosha?

Back