• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wj caliper question, do they litterally bolt on?

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
do wj grands calipers really just bolt right up for 99-02? from what i read 03's require a 16" wheel, but do 99-02's? i saw a 99 at the pnp yesterday and could use some dual caliper pistons. are they the same when it comes to bolting up? im running 96 xj 297 shafts on my 88 with 96 xj rotors too, with the stock 88 knuckles. so would the knuckles have to be switched out? id rather jsut bolt on the wj calipers if possible...

you have to use the WJ knuckles, which require welding the JKS spacer on them first...then getting different rotors, some tricky spacing and centering...

I'm sure I missed a step or 4 in there...but there are lots of writeups on WJ knuckle swaps.

As for the 16" wheel, the older WJs use Teves calipers, which I believe are the smaller of the two (in 02/03 they switched to Akebono, which require a 16" rim, or, depending on the 15" wheel, some 3.75" backspacing or less).

damn really? i was hoping the calipers where bolt on....are there any other jeep 2 piston calipers that might bolt on?

for all that work why not just swap in the entire front end, wouldnt it be easier and cheaper, oh, wait they are 5 on 5.5 huh?

5x5 i believe. Weird WJs....

WJs also use a CV style axle (instead of U-joints like XJs) The CV joint tends to break a lot. I think a lot of WJ guys swap those out.

The dimensions are different too, I think a WJ axle is wider.

JNickel101 said:
5x5 i believe. Weird WJs....

WJs also use a CV style axle (instead of U-joints like XJs) The CV joint tends to break a lot. I think a lot of WJ guys swap those out.

The dimensions are different too, I think a WJ axle is wider.
The WJs do have the 5x5'' pattern.
http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Jeep___Vehicle_Bolt_Pattern_Reference.cfm

According to a Google search, WJs have a 59.5'' WMS to WMS measurement, which is an inch shorter then XJ D30's. I think.

Back