• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ive searched, and I know ive seen it but i cant find the answer! :(

TL-Iguana

NAXJA Forum User
Im in the middle of doing my RE 4.5" lift, and everything is done now but the sway bar discos... I cant seem to figure out how the bottom bolts come out of the knuckle where the link attaches. According to RE, that bolt has to come out, but I cant seem to turn it for the life of me. Is it pressed in? Or is it threaded... I feel like a noob asking you guys, but Im seriouslyou perplexed! I know most of you already have discos installed, but how on earth do you guys get the lower bolts out!!! :worship:

Thanks!!!!!!

Simon

Sometimes you have to beat them out with a hammer, or drill them out.

They were pressed in on mine. Just used a ball joint press to pop them right out.

it's a torx bolt with teeth that go into where the bracket is. i beat mine partly out with a hammer then used a sawzall to cut the head off and pound it through.

its a bigger torx bit, like t50 or something, once you get that nut off try to see if it will thread out with some elbow grease, if not, try some lube and a hammer, thats always worked for me one way or the other....

if beating on it doesn't work... Get A Bigger Hammer!!!!! haha, it should push out.

While it has a Torx head, it's not threaded - it's a pressed-in splined bolt. Frakkin' stupid idea that needs to be pressed out or cut off.

On my '96 we cut the head and bolt portion off with a grinder and cut-off wheel. The remaining 'donut' got punched out easily.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I used the existing bolt but cut it down to size with a cutting wheel. Worked like a champ.

now that I think about it... mine "seemed" to thread out. I think I just shredded the splines.

I cut mine down then popped them out with an air hammer. Took about 10 minutes from start to finish. They're definitely splined and pressed in. I think I recall someone saying that the torx side was for a machine on the assembly line to line something up, but I'm not 100% on that.

Ball joint press works like a champ. $30 at Harbor Freight, and yes it's made in China, and yes it's cheap, and yes it works just fine on ball joints, bushings, and cranky disco bolts...and you won't bend the mounts while beating on it. Let the Harbor Freight jokes and flaming commence:)

Last edited:
I used my ball joint press.

trailrig12ya6.jpg

That looks familiar! I am in the midst of rebuilding a junkyard D30 and ran into the sway bar bolts. My '91 D30 bolts weren't pressed in like the ones on the '96 axle. Anyway, xjtrailrider what brand diff cover is that? I like...

Back