• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

offroad carrier??

I havent tried that one, but i can tell you that you wont have a great departure angle. thats designed to help you get your gear to camp, and not over the trail.

I use one that is similar. It works well for deer hunting when all I do is drive through the woods to get to the deer. I wouldn't dare try to go rock crawling or mud bogging with it though. If those are your intentions, then stay away from any rack that mounts to the hitch.

If you want one, then get one designed like the one you have pictured, because that extra 3-5 inches that it sits above the hitch does help with your angles. Another way to get even more clearance is to get a hinged one. When you don't have any gear on it you can move it up and out of the way.

For reference I have my carrier linked below:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-6502.htm

Please note that I bought mine locally for a lot cheaper than this site. I only have it here for reference.

I have one that I used on my old van. With a heavy load, it affected the handling a lot since it moved the center of gravity rearward. If you get one, load it with light items and keep the heavier things toward the front of the interior of your XJ.

lazyxj said:
I have one that I used on my old van. With a heavy load, it affected the handling a lot since it moved the center of gravity rearward. If you get one, load it with light items and keep the heavier things toward the front of the interior of your XJ.

I planned to load it w/ a 48 quart cooler- do you think this is too heavy? (For reference, I have a 96 xj, lifted 6 inches, w/35s.) I use it only on a fairly steep trail w/ some fairly large rocks. I would not consider it rock crawling compared to what I have seen some of the hardcore guys do.

Back