• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ballast Resistor- hot to touch?

my2monkeys

NAXJA Member
Is it normal for the Ballast Resistor to feel hot to the touch, after a few minutes of idling from a cold start? 89 4.0 renix. I just happened to touch it while checking vaccum lines and the like, and it was really hot. I'll bet it is normal for a resistor to be hot,( hense the name.) thanks for any insght.:wow:

my2monkeys said:
Is it normal for the Ballast Resistor to feel hot to the touch, after a few minutes of idling from a cold start? 89 4.0 renix. I just happened to touch it while checking vaccum lines and the like, and it was really hot. I'll bet it is normal for a resistor to be hot,( hense the name.) thanks for any insght.:wow:

Yep - anytime you introduce an impediment to the flow of something-or-other, you'll generate heat as a result. That's why hydraulic hoses also get hot (hence, power steering coolers.) That's why there's a minimum recommended wire gage for a given current load carried over a given distance - smaller wires get hotter faster, and it becomes possible to melt the insulation right off of the conductor.

I'd not worry about it.

Back