• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering gear not centered?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
October last year I swapped in a steering gear in a campground parking lot. My feeling now is that it was not centered :( Here's the symptoms: I can turn right as much as I want but I can't turn left worth a damn. I checked for binding and there is none.... so steering gear might have been not centerd and I'm stuck on the steering stops? Short of taking the steering gear out what are my options? Also if I need to take the steering gear out how do I center it?

Btw, I got remainder of tonight and tomorrow night to do it... then I"m off on a week long trip... so I kinda need to fix it ;)

THanks.

Yea I noticed on my Jeep box the pitman arm goes on in four Different locations, use to the Ford box that only has one wide spline. I think you would have to remove the pitman arm and cycle it side to side and find center, and put the arm back on.

FordGuy said:
Yea I noticed on my Jeep box the pitman arm goes on in four Different locations, use to the Ford box that only has one wide spline. I think you would have to remove the pitman arm and cycle it side to side and find center, and put the arm back on.
Hmmmm problem might be draglink... ok my brain is fried: do I need to shorten the draglink after the procedure? (finding the sweet spot on the pitman arm position that is).

like ford guy said pull it and try and adjust it that way but also check to make sure your steering stops on the knuckles are not mis adjusted I see it kinda often that one side is in the right position and the other worked its way out a bit

Back