• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering hose

92XJT

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed mine is starting to leak when I turn all the way - apparently the hose (high pressure one) is rubbing on the motor. Right now it only leaks when the steering is maxed out, but I would like to change it before hitting the trails. I got my line wrench on the nut but the space is too tight to even move the wrench - tried to access from two sides with no luck. Is there a trick to reach this end on the pump? Or do I have to take either the reservoir off or the fan housing (that is what the wrench is hitting). figured before I take too much apart I would ask here for suggestions. I checked my repair manual, and it doesn't mention taking anything else apart to remove the hose. Suppose I should add this too - its on my 92 sport - 4.0

What about removing the stock air intake box? I just replaced my steering box and I have an after market cone filter=no factory box, i was able to access it from the side. It's easier if you remove the electric fan as well, real simple, 8mm bolts along the top and fingers into two slots on the bottom. Essentially you just have to pull up and out it comes. Let us know how it turns out.

Yep - got the air box removed - I was eye up the electric fan next to remove. I think once that is out of the way I can at least get a turn or two on the wrench. thanks for the info

Got the upper one off - but is the lower one on the steering box metric? I even tried to new one, and the 11/16 is too small and the 3/4 is a little too big. Course if it is metric I can't seem to find my 18 (thats what it appears to be). Good suggestion on cutting the line - course that will get it off but getting on will be another story - lol.

It's 18mm, when I did mine, I had to do it 20 degrees flip the box wrench, 20 degrees, flip the wrench...you get the idea, it's tight, take your time, the nut will probably want to stick to the metal connector(the part the nut tightes down) so hold on to the hose as you turn it. It is straight forward, just take your time and you'll be ok

Actually it went too easy so far. I got the bottom of - lol, yep small turn, flip and turn, repeat numerous times. I can't find any extra fluid so will have to make another run to the store later. This hose looks much better - not as long as the one in originally in there, so it won't rub on the motor mount this time. Thanks for the info - all, appreciate it.

Back