• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ram horn exhaust in an SBC XJ

xjbubba

NAXJA Member # 1524
OK, I asked this question over on Pirate4x4--got a little info, not every thing I wanted (I'm greedy!). I have a SBC 350 in my '88 XJ, currently with stock '95 truck exhaust manifolds. Used them because local SMOG people wouldn't pass my installation without them. Using them required me to cut out my UCA mounts, and they are in the way of doing a decent 3 or 4-link long arm set up; so I'm looking to change to manifolds that will solve these clearance issues. It seam the center dump ram horns would be the ticket. I know at least one NAXJ guy (Steagall9301) used them, and one guy at Pirate on a '79 SBC install' my engine is a '95. I'd appreciate a little more info from ram horn users, such as: Will '70s ram horns fit '95 heads?
Can the oil dipstick on the '90s engine be changed to clear the manifolds easily; IE, factory parts?
Any clearance issues noted with install; IE, UCA's, drive shaft, frame?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

The ram horn style manifolds will bolt to the '95 heads. You could also go for some hotrod style, block hugger headers. That would give you better clearence for plug wires and a dipstick tube. I got a set for sale, BTW.

Thanks for the response, 12GaugeXj--wouldn't be able to get past SMOG here in Calif with headers unless they are "state certified". I've looked at all of the available "certified" headers, and none are advertised to fit in an XJ. It would be great to here from some one who's installed a SBC using the ram horns. You've answered one important question, but with the narrow frame rails I'd like to know if the engines installed with the ram horns are offset to the passenger side, like stock (mine's offset ~1"). Or, do they need to be centered in order for the manifolds to fit.
Thanks again.

rams horn manifolds work great...you may have to "clearance" the passenger side framerail though. a better choice in manifolds would be to look for some from a mid 80's camaro or firebird. these are the same as rams horns only a little smaller and have provisions for smog. originally what i was going to use but managed to break one installing the motor. sbc was the best mod i ever did.

Thanks, troy6187--I'll look arround for the Camaro/Fire bird versions.

Back