• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need to clear 40's, help.....

mancheman

NAXJA Forum User
i plan to put 1 ton axles and run 40's but i wont to keep the coils in the front. Do they make a lift big enough to clear these tires or do i have to go custom?

Thanks,
Leroy

mancheman said:
i plan to put 1 ton axles and run 40's but i wont to keep the coils in the front. Do they make a lift big enough to clear these tires or do i have to go custom?

Thanks,
Leroy

If you are going to 1-tons... it'll be custom, no way around that.

I think this is one of those things that if you have to ask, you probably shouldnt do it. Search more and be careful, once you change one thing you have to modify MANY more things... especially going to 40s.

Just slap on rustys 7.5" long arm lift put on some bushwhackers and call it good, should be good enough, just might have to bumpstop it some.

swbooking said:
I think this is one of those things that if you have to ask, you probably shouldnt do it. Search more and be careful, once you change one thing you have to modify MANY more things... especially going to 40s.

I was going to say that, but now that you have I'll "X2" it. ;)

Is there a reason you "need" 40s?

Dont listen to these guys, they're just jealous because they can't afford to run one tons and 4ds

Ramsey said:
Dont listen to these guys, they're just jealous because they can't afford to run one tons and 4ds

True... I can't really afford it... but I am setting up a pair of 60s to go under my XJ... won't be for 40s, it be for 38s or 39.5s.

See, he's jealous of your 1.5"

Ramsey said:
See, he's jealous of your 1.5"
Maybe its cause I don't need to compensate. :gag:
mancheman said:
but i wont to keep the coils in the front.

Back on topic, no coils in the front? May I ask why? What's your plan if not coils?

I believe he meant he wants to keep the coils?

Why even ask him, like he could even answer.

Well thanks yall this helps alot, it shows ya how much i know about axle sizes, hell i thought that d60's was a one ton axle. But, i have a d60 front and a d70 rear or it might be a ford 9'' not sure ill find out. I was wantin to keep the coils in the front for flex and there is no reason why i want 40's i think the question is why not have 40's hell theres not much of a diff between 39.5 and 40. I think what the deal is that ive been watchin to much trucks gone wild and the big axles are gettin to me. I guess the real question is what is the biggest and toughist axles that i can get that would require the least amount of customizeing and that could hold up a set 40's? Example will dana44s hold up or like axles out of a jeep wangoneer?

Thanks alot
Leroy

PS. what yall think about my MJ the clean pic has 6.5'' RC Lift and the muddy one is with a 3'' RC lift.

Why stop there, get rockwells (2.5 tons) and 54"s.

BTW a dana 60 front is a 1 ton axle.

thats what i plan to do with my other jeep, for my mj i want it to big enough for the hard stuff and not so big that its top heavy.

Thanks
Leroy

man do you need to do some research before you start asking questions like that. search search search.

sounds like you need to do a lot more researching. setting up a d60 with the "least" amount of customizing....pretty impossible. youll want to reinforce your frame for those axles, and tires that big, long arms, and some 8 inch skyjacker coils, and start hacking the fenders.

a 44 isn't going to hold up to 40s either.

A front D44 "can" hold up to tires in the 38"-40" range, but you have to baby it. I've got an 8 lug HD D44 out of a '77 Chevy in the front of my CJ behind a 304 V8 with 38.5" SXs, and other than snapping a few stub shafts over the years it's held up well. I stopped snapping shafts once I extended the steering bump stops to relieve some of the angle at full turn lock. Well, that and stopped wheeling it like an asshole.

Back