• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear brakes more work than expected

buzxj

NAXJA Forum User
So my 90 4.0 project looked like it needed some new rear brakes so i did a small hardware kit overhaul and new pads. I still have no braking power in the back. On jack stands the wheels stop when the brakes are applied but are easily moved by hand.

I figure new wheel cylinders will fix the problem. I also tried pumping the brakes with the drums off to see how well they moved, no movement at all. So are the cylinders seized up or could it be something else?

Are you getting fluid to your wheel cylinders?

Are you going in reverse and then stopping to adjust the brakes? If you still have it on jack stands, it sounds like you haven't, Just trying to help, if you have, just ignore this...

Replace with disc. Problem solved. JIM.

Have some brake tubing & a bender ready. If those cylinders haven't been
replaced in 18 years, you'll probably never get the hard lines out of them, (or the rubber hose centered on the axle for that matter. Go slow trying to remove the rubber hose from the body hard line. Ask me how I know :wave:

Its really not a very hard job to replace the hard lines up to the MC. Usually what happens is you try to break them at the WC's and andthey twist and break, so then you try at the rubberline,same thing.
A roll of 3/16" brake line and fittings to do all the hard lines will run you about $25 and around $40-45 for all the rubber lines.
An afternoons work and you have a very reilable (depending on how many beers) brake system

Back