• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waterproofing my engine

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I've relocated my vent lines and waterproofed the majority of the underhood connections, but I was wondering, my XJ's a manual, so do I have a TPS? And will I have to the same problems as the auto folks if I get it wet? Also, how do I waterproof my distributer cap?

yes you have a tps and yes water will kill them on the auto and the 5speed.
take the factory vent cap off the top of the dist and attach a hose to it and run it to a dry location....seal the cap with silicone.I extended all my vents and ran them into the air box because I have a homemade cowl snorkle so the airbox **should**be dry at all times.
If you dont have a sealed airbox with snorkle I don't recommend running vents into the airbox....

Big ziploc baggies coupled with lots of duct tape and silicone are definatley your friends in the case of water. I had mine out in the River Last Sunday in about 3 1/2 feet of water and have had no issues with the engine. I dont have a huge amount of money in this Jeep so treating it like a submarine isnt really a big deal. The next cherokee I build will be a hell of a lot different.

Cody

I took a plate of 1/8" aluminum and made a front "splash pan" if you will. works really well for keeping the water from splashing everywhere inside, sucked bending it up with out a real brake though. . .

Back