• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More AW4 questions!!!

kj139

NAXJA Forum User
I know, I know...Search. I have searched and searched and although I have found a great deal of information, nothing matches my problem, nor do the recomendations seem to fix it.

I am having shifting problems with my AW4 behind a 4.0. The problem is that it seems to be starting out in 2nd gear. It then shifts into 3rd gear quickly and so on into 4th. If I stop the vehicle and put it into 1-2, it will start in 2nd gear and then quickly go into 3rd. Every now and then, it will lock up and drop into 1st gear while I am moving (with the lever in 1-2). It also won't down-shift when I am at WOT while driving up-grade on the highway.

I put in a new TPS with no improvement. Re-timed it with better throttle response but still no shift improvement (although I will do it again just to make sure). Checked all of the vacuum lines (the ones that I can figure out where they go), double-checked the MAP sensor, put in a new CPS, etc. etc. etc.

A little history...I was having trouble with the starter relay, the ignition (in the column) wouldn't let my brand new lock cylinder release the key, and the NSS (had to play with it to get it to start sometimes). I bypassed all of these problems with a "bump switch" to start the vehicle. That fixed all of the other problems, but I assume that doing this caused my current problem. That is the time when my shifting problems seemed to begin.

I know there are a TON of threads on the AW4 and various problems, but like I said earlier, I have been reading these for days and trying the suggestions without locating my problem. I would REALLY appreciate any help if anyone has solved this problem before.

Thanks,

Kevin

Year?

Pull the fuse for the trans computer, and verify that you get 1st with the shifter in (1-2), 3rd in (3), and 4th in (D). If you do, then the problem is on the electrical side of th house and not mechanical. Maybe a bad shift solenoid, which can be checked by measuring at the trans computer connector.

Did both with no resolve. This is VERY frustrating. My gas mileage is around 10 MPG (if that). I can literaly watch the guage move. That, and I have no power.

When you put in your TPS, did you mis-stab it? Put the little lever on the wrong side?

iirc, the throttle peice should be on top. When you hit the gas pedel the TPS's rod should move.

I put it on the wrong side once on accident, it behaved like you are describing.

I was having similar issues with me aw4 last year. Even rebuilt the tranny and no luck.My problem was a faulty valve body. If you can't get one at the salvage yard a rebuilt one will run you around $100. After replacing this mine has ran like a champ.

Ok guys, sorry for the delay, I have been out of town for a few. I will try these in the next couple fo days and see what happens. It is frustrating, but thanks for the help! Now the valve body...I'm not familiar with that, could you explain a bit more about it... Thanks!

KJ139- Won't hijack the forum... sent you a PM

OK, I just cleaned the NSS and it is working much better. Actually peeled out when taking off. Not bad for 35's with 4.56's. Now to re-check the TPS, as you guys have me thinking. Thanks for all the help!

Back