• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-joint replacment, greaseable or non greaseable?

Spanky414

NAXJA Forum User
I'm putting new ujoints in the front axle shafts this weekend. I'm wondering what most people use. I got a heavy duty non cross drilled non greaseable and a greaseable normal one. So what do most people use?

Personally I do light wheeling at the moment with 31" mud tires. There is a decent amount of mud and water crossings around here. So do I go for the durability of the HD ones or the greaseablity of the normal ones?

You didn't state the year of your Cherokee but do you think you are going to wear a new one out, greasy or not?
As fare as dirt goes install it properly and that should not be a problem.
The U-joints holds up well behind the 6 banger and light offing. Save the 3 or 4 bucks on the so-called HD joints.

Last edited:
I've used both, both were quality name brands. The greasable didn't seem to last any longer than the none greasable.
One thing I have noticed though, is that the factory greasing of the caps is kind of sporatic and unequal. Some are greased well, some kind of and some hardly at all. I pack pack a little extra grease in there, then put the caps back on. Many universal joints come with a drilled out pocket on the end of the "X", I make sure this is full of grease. Tip do this on a clean work bench and with a magnet handy if one of the roller bearings in the cap suddenly disappears.

I need some type of U-joint straps to replace the HELP brand sold at most discount stores that need more help than I can afford to give. These never seem to hold the bearing caps tight allowing them to spin in the yoke. How difficult would it be to use the "U" bot type that I have heard about. They will be used at the diff end of the drive shaft.

techno1154 said:
I need some type of U-joint straps to replace the HELP brand sold at most discount stores that need more help than I can afford to give. These never seem to hold the bearing caps tight allowing them to spin in the yoke. How difficult would it be to use the "U" bot type that I have heard about. They will be used at the diff end of the drive shaft.

If you want to switch from straps and bolts to ubolts for the drive shafts you need to replace the Yokes as well. the strap style yoke is Not machined to accept the ubolt and provide positive contact on the ujoint end cap.
Give randy's ring an pinion, Tom Woods, or Rusty's a call. Average cost of the new yoke is about 50 bucks and the ubolts as mentioned are less then 10 for a set. The ubolts are alot stronger than the straps.

badron said:
You didn't state the year of your Cherokee but do you think you are going to wear a new one out, greasy or not?
As fare as dirt goes install it properly and that should not be a problem.
The U-joints holds up well behind the 6 banger and light offing. Save the 3 or 4 bucks on the so-called HD joints.

I'm driving an 88, non ABS so its the older 260 joints. The one I'm replacing thats worn out is a non greasable but I think its been in since before I got it.

I don't go through them either way. They are both similar prices. I wouldn't call the HD ones so called HD cause you can see the difference, the body is bigger and with no cross drill or hole for a zerk its most definatly stronger.

Its not the price that I care about anyways, it how often I will be changing them.

Back