• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Column Interchangeability?

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
The steering column in my 95 XJ moves up and down. It seems like it's just the shaft moving, not the whole column assembly. It's a non-tilt with airbag. I was wondering what years interchange.

I've found lots of write-ups on the GM tilt column coming loose and how to repair it but nothing on the airbag, non-tilt model like mine.

thanks

rogersjeep said:
just the 95 and 96 models

Thanks. Do you have any idea what it would take to adapt an older model column? It seems that being limited to two years might make finding one difficult and it seems that you're not supposed to service the column in '95, just replace it as an assembly for $350+. Bah!

According to the Part Catalog it looks like the steering box is the same for pretty much every year XJ (84-01). Well, the Parts Catalog lists different part numbers but when you look them up they all seem to be superseded by the same part number. So it seems that if I grab the column and shaft all the way to the steering box I can swap different years.

Has anyone do this? Can anyone confirm this either way?

Is the whole collum moving, like the nuts are loose on the bolts?

purplexj said:
Is the whole collum moving, like the nuts are loose on the bolts?

Nah. Unfortunately the shaft is moving and the "tube" is stationary. The part that should be stationary is, the part that should rotate not only rotates but moves up and down. The strange part is it seems like it moves more up and down than side to side. Which seems like it would be the columns mount, but sadly it's not.

Back