• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any aw4 know-it-all s? 93 aw4 into a 97 ?

finn188

NAXJA Forum User
trans went out in my dads 97 and i found a deal on a 93 aw4. anyone know if they are compatable? need to know asap so he can make it on our next trip! thanks

Hi finn,

ok an aw4 is an aw4...so if the 97 had an aw4 then any year aw4 will be compatible, not sure about the bell housings, that depends on the motor, but the box will bolt right onto the 97's bell housing if it is different so that is sorted, and also the T-case (np231 ?) will bolt onto the back no problem.

If the 97 had a different box to an aw4 , then the answer is no...just to many modifications, and computer tcu, and engine check light problems to even consider it.

hope this helps

The 97+ has an addition sensor that the earlier ones dont,it will set off a trouble code with out it?

Low mileage used AW-4's are as common as dirt and almost as cheap. Try www.car-part.com and look for a 1997 + transmission so it's a direct swap.

The TCU is under the passenger knee panel.

tcm.jpg

TCM/TCU...

Bellhousing is a non-issue since it's removable and will be the same for all 4.0 anyway. I think it's the same on the 4-cyl as well though. Can't recall if there's an actual difference in sensor quantity, only type and those are easily swapped over if needed. Other than that, I'm pretty sure you're good to go on a '93 to '97 AW-4 swap.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I have some conflicting info in the past at to when the sensors changed. I now have a 97 and 99 FSM to reference and I'm am 99% sure the sensor changes were in 1998. In 98, a front input shaft speed sensor was addded and the rear sensor changed type and the number of pulses/rev.

You might have to transplant the NSS over as the connector for it changed in 96 or 98. Wiring is the same, just a different plug on the harness. Same deal with the wiring from the solenoid. I'm not sure what year that changed, but if it won't plug in you can swap the wiring over. You have to drop the pan and undo the bolt where the wiring comes out and pull the harness out.

So yes, this will bolt up and work with the 1997 TCU.

Tim_MN said:
Low mileage used AW-4's are as common as dirt and almost as cheap. Try www.car-part.com and look for a 1997 + transmission so it's a direct swap.
i think you just won first prize for best advice. there are tons of 97 aw4s for 300-400$ near by. i cant beat that! thanks alot.

the 97 was a year in itself for the aw4... it ran on a different set of codes and was a lil finninky when put in the 98+'s, but yes, does have a different sensor on the bell housing

ZacSquatch said:
the 97 was a year in itself for the aw4... it ran on a different set of codes and was a lil finninky when put in the 98+'s, but yes, does have a different sensor on the bell housing

Now, I thought we ran into problems trying to get the TCU to work on yours? You have a 96 AW4 in a 99, and I remember them being two different TCU's. Unless it was a change in 99 only?

I am contemplating almost the reverse of this. I'm about to swap in a '96 4.0/AW4 to replace my tired '91 4.0/AW4 combo. I have both XJs here. Is it really as simple as swapping the TCU to make it work with the OBD1 system?

As far as the tranny goes, you don't need to swap the TCU. It should bolt right up, but you'll have to swap over the wiring harness (gotta drop the pan to unplug it from the solenoids) and use the 91 NSS.

Back