• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel gauge not working

yj4roks

NAXJA Forum User
I have 1990 with the 4.0. I just got the Jeep back to running condition...it was stored for over four years until two months ago when it became mine.
I gassed it up yesterday, after the low gas light came on...I had previously drained all the gas and put in 5 gallons of new. after filling it, the gauge was showing correctly down to 3/4 tank then when i left a buddies house today, it was pegged all the way past full and about the 3 o'clock position. Not sure what to check...I am not the best at electrical. I crawled under and didn't see anything weird with the wires from the point of exit from the tank to where it goes into the body. Should i somehow check the current coming off the sending unit first or is it most likely the gauge? Not sure where to start. Thanks for any help or pointing to threads I didn't see.

Back