• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 alternator on 92 xj

choppedliver

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if you can put a 89 xj alternator on a 92 xj. I've read about putting a newer alternator on an older vehicle but can't find anything on what I want to do. If you can, how do you do it?

choppedliver said:
I was wondering if you can put a 89 xj alternator on a 92 xj. I've read about putting a newer alternator on an older vehicle but can't find anything on what I want to do. If you can, how do you do it?

The only real differences between the 89, and 92 is that the 89 is internally regulated, and the 92 has an external regulator in the PCM.
I would think it could be done by bypassing the regulator in the PCM, and re-wiring everything... but i think it would just be best to get one from a 91-01 since all those years use a regulator in the PCM / Nippondenso alternator.

1984-1986 - Delco 12SI (Internally Regulated)
1987-1990 - Delco CS130 (Internally Regulated)
1991-2001 - Nippondenso 90A-120A (Externally Regulated by PCM.)

Can you do it? I think so, but I'm not sure. Should you do it? Probably not.

Why? Principal reason being you'll get a persistent CEL/MIL when the PCM figures out that its inbuilt regulator circuit isn't doing anything, and that could mask other issues.

If you want more output, there are a couple ways to go:

1) Get a unit from a late ZJ or a Durango - that should get you about 136A nominal max output (I don't have my catalogue handy, or I'd give you more information.)
2) Take your OEM unit into a competent shop, and have it rewound for higher output. This should get you 135-150A nominal max output.
3) Get a Mean Green - they wind them for 200A max output.

Bear in mind you'll need to upgrade your wiring, especially the alternator output lead and associated circuit protection (for you, this should be a pair of MAXI60 fuses in the PDC labelled "Generator.")

Back