• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tools needed to pull AX15?

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
I'm headed to Pick-N-Pull tomorrow to get an AX15 for my XJ, but it's an hour away and I'm not sure what speciality tools I'll need.

I'll have my box of assorted screw drivers, wrenches, pliars, etc, and a normal sized socket set, but I don't have any big torx screws, etc.

I'll also have a jack to support it.

Anything specific I should bring? Thanks.

Really long extensions for the top bolts. Be prepared to remove the crossmember and lower it down to gain access to the bolts.

Are all of the mounting bolts hexagonal heads? IE no Torx bullshit?

I think everything should work if I don't have to deal with Torx - just don't have the tools for it.

Also, I'll need to take the crossmember with me. :) Doing a BA/10 to AX15 swap.

It should - take an E12 socket, or pick one up on your way in. You can replace the screws later - they're threaded 3/8"-16, so just match the length under the head.

For everything else, a standard metric wrench and metric socket set should serve. You may want to have a small prybar handy in case things stick too much...

Well I pulled it. Took 5 hours to do it but I did it.

Two hours of which was stuck on one of the E12 bolts. The most innaccessible one AND it was stripped to boot. ***** thing. Also, the junkyard didn't have it jacked up enough so I kept hitting my body on steering knuckles and such, blah. They also wouldn't let me use a jack to support it. The one that I brought.

But the important thing is it's out. A word of advice to anyone pulling a jeep tranny - drop the crossmember and make sure you take out the top two torx (E12) bolts before you do ANYTHING. I almost gave up after doing everything else because the one bolt would not come out. But it did eventually! :)

I understand your frustration - I really do! Keep it cool, tho...

And you're correct - and I probably should have mentioned that. After the first time I pulled a transmission with those damned E12 screws, I've made it a priority to remove them as soon into the job as possible. Pull them out, and throw them in the scrap steel bin - problem solved. Replace with hex heads or socket heads upon reinstallation.

There is a sound engineering reason for using those on initial assembly, but it doesn't really apply once you get into service. Leave it to the beancounters...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back