• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ leaking from top of new tank

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my gas tank and fuel pump, when I went to fill it fuel started spilling out from the top of the tank, what could be causing this? Thanks.

Sorry I didn't see the "96" in your title....it's probably steel. assuming you put all the rollover valves and seal for the fuel pumb back in correctly. and the fill tube is hooked back up. I got a new tank from Quadratech and one of the welds in the bottom of the tank leaked gas, if the tank is brand new? Id start checking around all the spot welds and fittings on the tank.

I didn't do it myself, but the guys that did usually do good work, it doesn't look like its coming from the side where the fuel pump is, as the top of the tank is wet and you can see where it ran down sort of around the pump. Are there any lines up there that could be leaking?

There are two rollover valves that fit into rubber gromits they are located on the very top of the tank.

Thanks for all your help, can they be replaced? Also, how easily would these valves give in under pressure? Cause even after the main spill happened I was above F on the gauge, so I'm wondering if thats what happened.

Last edited:
Yes but the tank will need to be dropped back out.

Thanks, is there any other place that would possibly cause gas to leak when its full? Does the fill tube run over it? Also is there any place to find good diagrams of how the parts go together like they have at the dealership? I'm interested in looking at them.

Last edited:
Back