• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To change or not to change

If the valve cover that is on there is not leaking I would leave it alone, I don't see any benitits other than a different oil cap.

No performance difference but the aluminum one is thicker and thus makes your valvetrain quieter. Jeep/Cryco switched to the stamped steel ones to save a few pennies is all. Change it if you want to. It will just make your engine a little easier to be around if you work under the hood with it running.

Dustn525 said:
Well if you're concerned the aluminum cover might save you 1/4 lb. to 1.2 lb. in weight.....or not.

Cast aluminum cover vice stamped steel? Probably no savings.

The gasket rails on the aluminum cover are thicker - which is a help if you've had trouble getting the gasket to seal. However, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. Save it for later, or for a swap with someone for something else you might be more likely to need (not me - I've got three of them in the garage already...)

Back