• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm officially stumped..

xalexjx

NAXJA Forum User
OK, Not getting any running lights or dash lights. it keeps popping the fuses.. pulled apart the dash, replaced the headlight switch, cleaned the nss and a few other things.. have the whole thing pulled aparts right now so some advise or a step in the right direction would be apprecited. Thanks

The basics on your XJ would be good. At least a year.
Anyway most electrical problems are the result of a bad ground. either it isn't connecting or it is connecting at the wrong spot. Just make sure when you put it all back together that the bolts at the bottom of the dash connecting it to the sides of the body are TIGHT. My 98's dash was screwing up until I tightened them.

The power for the dash lights go through the running lights (park) fuse up through the dimmer part of the headlight switch, back down to the illum. fuse (5 amp.) and back up to the instrument cluster.

Here is a typical diagram, it differs some over the years but the basic setup remains the same at least through 96.

9galw0.gif

If the 5 amp fuse is blowing (and sometimes the park light fuse also) it's likely the switch, the connector at the switch which has a tendency to cook and melt when the dash illumination dimmer (Back of the headlight switch) shorts, or the harness has rubbed through on the pinch seam for the "A" pillar by the firewall.
If it is just the park light fuse blowing it's likely in the harness for the headlights or the taillights. Most likely spots for this harness to mess up is at the taillights where the wires run across the taillight buckets (sheet metal). Or at the headlight buckets.

checked most the wiring didnt find any shorts.. Onderneath the dash there is a block the has a few relays on it. If i put the switch partway on almost to the parking lights position my running lights and dash lights come on, but when they do theres a relay thats clicking,,, it has two numbers,, 56006846 and 19872J on it. Going to get one tommorrow and also going to grab another headlight switch and try that too..

If you move the headlight switch "part way" and you get your parking lights/dash lights to light up, they are stealing power from the headlight circuit (not the parking lights circuit since you said the fuse is blown.)

Check the tail light sockets,i had the same problem on my 89 2 days after i got it after 3 hours of search i found a bad bulb socket in d/s rear tail light,6 bucks and a new fuse fixed the problem,bulb grease will help prevent this problem from happening again

when you pluged in the new head light switch, did you by chance fold over on of the pins pluging it in and not see or feel it...i've seen this happen many of times.:dunno:

Make sure the headlight knob/rod is seated all the way in. It's possible to install it part way in and then get faulty function.
The last switch I installed I actually had to slam the knob pretty darned hard to get it to seat all the way in. I was hoping my new switch didn't explode on me when I slammed it with the palm of my hand, but it sure wasn't working right the way I had it initially.
The rheostat wheel in the back of the switch has to line up with the square portion of the rod to get it to seat all the way. Twisting a little while pushing, may help the rod seat all the way in.

Back