• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep sounds like a deisel

rogersjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Well as it says the heep is starting to sound like a deisel. Noise is coming from the low end. My question is should i do a crank shaft kit (new bearings) or is it some thing else i need to look at?
BTW is a 96 4.0 auto with 200,xxx on the clock. does not burn oil and no loss of power.

Try removing the inspection plate off the tranny and tighten all the torque-converter bolts to see if that stops the noise. A loose torque-converter can make a bottom of engine knocking noise.

rogersjeep said:
Well as it says the heep is starting to sound like a deisel. Noise is coming from the low end. My question is should i do a crank shaft kit (new bearings) or is it some thing else i need to look at?
BTW is a 96 4.0 auto with 200,xxx on the clock. does not burn oil and no loss of power.

My Xj is the same year with 207000mi and makes the same noise, ive been using that Engin Restore stuff with 10w40 oil, and it seems to work good for me. Most of the noise is almost gone, dumpin in new crank bearings on a motor with that amout of milage would probably do more harm than good. Its also like polishing a turd, Im gonna run mine until the thing blows up (knock on wood) and just find a good used engin to replace it

JEFF said:
My Xj is the same year with 207000mi and makes the same noise, ive been using that Engin Restore stuff with 10w40 oil, and it seems to work good for me. Most of the noise is almost gone, dumpin in new crank bearings on a motor with that amout of milage would probably do more harm than good. Its also like polishing a turd, Im gonna run mine until the thing blows up (knock on wood) and just find a good used engin to replace it
I agree changing the crank/rod bearinmgs without having the crank turned and polished is a complete waste of time, money and effort. If you need new bearings then you need a complete rebuild. Everything fron valve seals and valve job to the new bearings. Include everything in between. Cam and bearings, piston rings and wrist pins, the list goes on and on.
Like the man said "Don't polish a turd".

Check your flexplate while checking torque converter bolts. Check the flexplate bolts and check the flexplate for cracks, very common in these.
Use a pry bar or large screwdriver and pry front to rear/rear to front, whatever you are able to do, on the flexplate, use a bright light so you can see and look for cracks around the bolt holes, around the crank area and outward towards the ring gear.
When these crack or the bolts back off they very much sound like a deisel

I agree look at the flex plate and torque converter bolts as well as your bell housing and your exhaust manifold I have had all of those issues cause a bad knock when all it needed was either tightening of bolts or replacing the manifold

MapleDitch said:
Try removing the inspection plate off the tranny and tighten all the torque-converter bolts to see if that stops the noise. A loose torque-converter can make a bottom of engine knocking noise.

I had the same clattering on my 92. I always thought it was the lifters or something.

When I converted to 4wd, I noticed the torque converter bolts on the 2wd tranny were loose enough to remove by hand. I swapped to a 4wd tranny and tightened them up good and tight. No more clattering.

The XJ is a 4wd and quiet as a mouse now.

Well turns out ya'll were right 3 out of the four bolt were loose one about half way out.
Still has a slight knock but its a lot better.
Thanks for the help.
Next time i change the oil ill drop the pan and check for slop on the rods (just out of couriosity).

rogersjeep said:
Well turns out ya'll were right 3 out of the four bolt were loose one about half way out.
Still has a slight knock but its a lot better.
Thanks for the help.
Next time i change the oil ill drop the pan and check for slop on the rods (just out of couriosity).

Now ya got me thinkin....Im gonna check mine tomarrow to see if any of the bolts are loose.

Back