• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

We are on our way!

Vince

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well not me personally yet, but our Jeeps are. I delivered them to the sea freight terminal in England this week. They are now on the ship waiting to start their month long voyage back to America. I know they will be arriving early for the Fall Fling, but there are a few more trails in other States that we want to drive with friends during the summer. Counting down the weeks now.

Vince said:
Well not me personally yet, but our Jeeps are. I delivered them to the sea freight terminal in England this week. They are now on the ship waiting to start their month long voyage back to America. I know they will be arriving early for the Fall Fling, but there are a few more trails in other States that we want to drive with friends during the summer. Counting down the weeks now.
Thats funny, I was going to send you a PM asking when they were going on the boat.

So when are you flying over to get them off the boat?

DrMoab said:
Thats funny, I was going to send you a PM asking when they were going on the boat.

So when are you flying over to get them off the boat?

They'll be in SoCal the week after Memorial Day, like May 28-31.

I'm hitching a ride over the Atlantic with my wife. She very conveniently has a business meeting in Philadelphia that week. I had suggested that to save some money I could just stay over for a couple of months. Sadly, it's a no go. I have to come back to look after the kids, dogs and cats. My parents have only agreed to do it for a week. :(

Vince said:
I'm hitching a ride over the Atlantic with my wife. She very conveniently has a business meeting in Philadelphia that week. I had suggested that to save some money I could just stay over for a couple of months. Sadly, it's a no go. I have to come back to look after the kids, dogs and cats. My parents have only agreed to do it for a week. :(

Just leave extra food out for them. That or lock them in a basement?

:D

Vince said:
Well not me personally yet, but our Jeeps are. I delivered them to the sea freight terminal in England this week. They are now on the ship waiting to start their month long voyage back to America.

Hope you're not using the same company BMW and Jaguar used a few years ago in those parts.

--ron

Probably. The only two Jeeps on a ship loaded with left hand drive Jaguars, Land Rovers and BMW Minis. Should I be worried?

Vince said:
Should I be worried?

A few years ago, Lloyds suffered a major insurance loss. Seems that a RoRo full of BMW's lost power underway in the North Channel during a major storm. Got broadside to the swell and capsized.

Then, a RoRo full of Jaguars hit it and both sank. Same shipping company.

Lloyds exposure was so great, they went to the expense of salvaging both RoRo's.

BMW's and Jags both come in here, Port Hueneme. I saw some of them.

I wonder how many folks with them know their expensive cars spent time on the sea floor.

--ron

Captain Ron said:
I wonder how many folks with them know their expensive cars spent time on the sea floor.

--ron
man i wish i could get some numbers as to wich ones did so i can go laugh in those peoples faces

Captain Ron said:
A few years ago, Lloyds suffered a major insurance loss. Seems that a RoRo full of BMW's lost power underway in the North Channel during a major storm. Got broadside to the swell and capsized.

Then, a RoRo full of Jaguars hit it and both sank. Same shipping company.

Lloyds exposure was so great, they went to the expense of salvaging both RoRo's.

--ron

That was back in '03 I think. We were still looking at buying the wife's MINI and there was all kinds of pissed off people because the cars they waited 6 months for were at the bottom of the atlantic.

in2fords said:
Glad to hear your Jeep is underway, Im trying really hard to get mine on the boat in a couple weeks.
You got it easy.

Shipping to your island is pretty normal. Matson even runs those ferry ships back and forth.

in2fords said:
Glad to hear your Jeep is underway, Im trying really hard to get mine on the boat in a couple weeks.
Will you be the farthest travelled to the event within the USA?

Captain Ron said:
Sounds like I'm using the same company. I still have to work out how to get from LAX to Port Hueneme. I found a series of bus connections, but haven't had much luck determining if it is possible to get there by train yet.

Vince said:
Will you be the farthest travelled to the event within the USA?

Not sure, I would guess so but havent checked on it. If I make it that is. Still doing alot of other stuff and trying to get the Jeep ready. been convincing the boss I need a vacation so its up to her at this point, she may want a vacation else where.

Vince said:
Sounds like I'm using the same company. I still have to work out how to get from LAX to Port Hueneme. I found a series of bus connections, but haven't had much luck determining if it is possible to get there by train yet.
Bring Ron a quality bottle of booze from your neck of the woods and I bet he will offer to give you a lift. :D

It's a long journey 2.5 to 4 hours drive each way depending on traffic, that's too much to ask as a favour. I'm happy to go by bus.

I have to do the journey twice on consecutive days as I need to collect my XJ and my wife's TJ from the port. She was intending to drive hers from the port but our ship was delayed 2-days and my wife just can't be there. I have to collect the Jeeps on my own or get them trailered. The bus is the cheapest option.

Back