• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4-link arm questions

xjjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
after seeing LED'S 4-link convertion it's got me wondering, as is looks you need to have the lower arms in parallel with the frame, and the uppers at a angle to the rear. any idea on length of the arms ?. seems easy to do, plus the parts are easy to fab up. also could you use johnny joints instead of heims ?

scot

it all depends on a number of things....ENTIRE BOOKS have been written, devoted to this very question.....

link length, link position, vertical seperations, roll centers, roll axis, anti squat.....BLAH BLAH BLAH are all things that you need to at least half-understand in order to allow you to dial in what you need for your project....

i suggest you read two threads on POR......

beware, there is a lot of bullshit to wade through, and it will be hard to know who is full of shit or not, regardless, very good information from several screennames. Look for

"god of suspension"

and

"link suspension for dummies".......

tons of books on the subject, i bought three titles, all three were a waste of money.....the Miliken book is supposed to be the one to get, which i didn't.

Break anything down and it's simple enough.

Fabbing suspension components isn't real tough.

Like Beezil says, understanding what you're designing is far more than link length and angle.

The book that I actually use is "Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics". It is published and endorsed by the SAE. It is an engineering text written by engineers, for engineers and hardly light reading by any stretch. It covers all things automotive associated with movement; steering, ride, road effects, .... and yes, suspension.

Or you could just do what most everybody else out there does: find something that works and copy it?

Everybody but Beezil of course:D

bullshit!

there's nothing about my latest creation that is truly original!

I appreciate the compliment, but I can't take it.

I'm still trying to remember who one-ton said used a trailer axle hub to make his articulating joint...props to the man, I used that idea, I just made it look more exotic by building one from scratch, otherwise, wishbone suspensions are nothing new! I'm more or less just doing what one-scrub did a while back and trying to do the first time what he might do a second time around.....when you think about it, there are really no truly NEW jeep ideas....just variations of what's been done before.....but crok does give excellent advice! yes! definitly try to see what other people are doing, and incorporate all the aspects that work, and ask them what there mistakes were, what they'd do differently, and go from there......

don't launch half-assed into a mod like this, take a ton of time to read and ask questions. I'll tell you, I have a MINIMAL understanding, and there's no doubt, that what I'm building right now will have a ton of mistakes or oversights, and I'll probably decide to re-do them one month before next years moab event!

Beezil said:
it all depends on a number of things....ENTIRE BOOKS have been written, devoted to this very question.....

link length, link position, vertical seperations, roll centers, roll axis, anti squat.....BLAH BLAH BLAH are all things that you need to at least half-understand in order to allow you to dial in what you need for your project....

i suggest you read two threads on POR......

beware, there is a lot of bullshit to wade through, and it will be hard to know who is full of shit or not, regardless, very good information from several screennames. Look for

"god of suspension"

and

"link suspension for dummies".......

tons of books on the subject, i bought three titles, all three were a waste of money.....the Miliken book is supposed to be the one to get, which i didn't.

I read those on POR a while ago. That's why I decided to leave the leafs on(for now). LED's set up looks nice, and like you said, Scot, doesn't look too hard to duplicate, I mean, re-engineer.

Back