• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shorter arms to move front wheels back?

Simple Man

NAXJA Member #979
Here's the situation: Currently - 1998 XJ Sport, RE 3.5" Superide lift. RE LCA drop bracket. Full RE leaf pack in the rear. 31" tires fit fine.

The wife is getting a new car so I get the XJ. 32" BFG muds, 2" coil spacer in the front and a Dana 44 (4.88 and Electrac) in the rear. The front has sagged a little, the rear has been higher and the 44 will add lift so the spacers should level it out.

The problem and probably really stupid thought: The tires rub in the front. At the point where they rub there is 3 inches of clearance at the back of the tire. I could cut (and probably will) but what about shifting the tire further back in the wheel well?

I've seen (searched) the charts for LCA & UCA lenghts for lifts with and without the RE Drop Brackets. But why couldn't I get 1" shorter UCA and LCA to pull the wheels further back in the wheel well? Shorter arms = less flex and worse ride, yea but...

I'm guessing the cost of new arms and maybe a shorter driveshaft might not be worth it. And I'd only have to cut plastic. But would it work?

I don't think the 44 will level it out. Also do you load you XJ up when you wheel? What is your backspacing on the wheels?

As far as CA lengths, Measure out your wheelbase to 101" with the lowers and then Adjust the uppers to get the correct caster. I have RE DB's and I don't have any issues with flex and I have 33's.

Also just about everybody trims the front piece right under the tail light housing. I has to re-read to figure out what you were rubbing on.

Last edited:
Back