• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Leaf springs

chelms27

NAXJA Forum User
I have read a ton of articles about this, but I just need to know what would be the easiest way to add a 2" lift to the rear of my 1997 cherokee which has worn out rear springs. I would like to put on a whole different set of leafs out of an s-10 or dakota, which years fit? I only have basic tools, what would be recommended to do in my situation? Thanks

chelms27 said:
I have read a ton of articles about this, but I just need to know what would be the easiest way to add a 2" lift to the rear of my 1997 cherokee which has worn out rear springs. I would like to put on a whole different set of leafs out of an s-10 or dakota, which years fit? I only have basic tools, what would be recommended to do in my situation? Thanks

Here are the best 3 posts on the subject that I have read.

Might try here

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50083&highlight=Bastard+pack

or here ... Definately read Goatman's hints for flexy leafs. It is the second post in this thread

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23381&highlight=suspension+tuning

or here

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57737&highlight=sucessful

As for tools the C-clamps and angle grinder are very nice to have. I am not sure how I would have done it without them

Others are impact wrench but mine is so wimpy that it did n't undo anything anyways. I used my breaker bar and then a 3 foot cheater on top of that a few times

The best thing you can have is practice.... I did mine a total of 3 times before I got it the way that I wanted.

Jeff

Last edited:
I read all of those articles, they where very helpful, thanks for the help, I am looking at the Rocky Road 2" lift with the shackles? It sounds good, I off-road quite a bit, but nothing too crazy, and I would like to retain the soft ride. How much will it affect the handling if I take off the rear sway bar(track bar?) What are some good aftermarket shocks? and some places to find them? Thanks :dunno:

I personally have taken my rear sway-bar off but if you search here you'll find out that there are so many people taking it off and not even noticing it, so just I'd just scrap it. Also you'll gain a lot more flex up front if you get quick disconnects for your front swaybar and dicso. it when your ready to go wheeling.
As for shocks, If your not into any extreme wheeling and want to keep a decent on-road ride, try some Rancho RS5000's, they're made for mild off-roading and street. Also they're cheap and can be found at most automotive stores.

Thanks chero king, I think I might find some ranchos, what are some good sway bar disconnects to get? I like that idea, and will taking off the rear bar give me more flex? thanks

I'm not too sure about the rear bar giving more flex, I assume it would. And JKS make decent quick discos. You can make your own too, it's not that difficult, and theres a few write ups on here if you search.

If your sticking with a 2" lift then yeah it wont hurt your flex too much if you keep the stock shocks you'll still get decent flex.

Oh and I wouldnt worry about ripping anything off, I'm running a 3.5" lift and 33's with stock shocks(temporarily) and havent ripped anything off flexing, although they do limit my flex a tad with 3.5"s, but not enough to bother me though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, I think I will stick with the stockers for now, the wife thinks we need to buy a house!? I personally think we need to buy another cherokee!!

Back