• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering gear box?

HilltopXJ

NAXJA Member #950
My question is. Are the gearboxes on XJ, TJ, ZJ all the same and inter changable. The shaft from the pitman arm has slop init and making some bad noise. Next ? is if there is slop inthat shaft wouldn't it be leaking? because its not and the pump is full. haven't
checked the gear box yet. any help will be welcome.

scott

I believe so generally in terms of ratio. But the power steering sensitivity based on the torsion bar inside the box may vary and in fact varied even among early xjs vs later xjs. Most rebuilders make a generic version they sell. I installed one from autozone in my 89 xj to get rid of too much play in the steering box and the new one was a heavier steer feel like my zj instead of the too light feel of the old box. Check out the part numbers on autozone.com for the three applications for a more accurate answer to your question. Greg

Back