• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D/FW Cylinder Head Replacement mechanic?

Windrider

NAXJA Forum User
Well the 01 just started skipping and missing all of a sudden. About 87K on the ticker and it appears from the green color under the valve cover and the somewhat apparent crack running along the top of cylinder #4 that she just blew the head.

Fortunately, it's only been driven 8 miles like this that I know of, the oil on the dipstick still looks clean, and it just started using coolant 8 miles ago. So when it went, it really went.

I'm a little short on spare time these days or I'd probably enjoy doing it myself, but with repairs from the big hail storm at top priority, helping settle an estate, and a demanding work schedule for now I probably won't get this back in the road soloing it until about Christmas.

Anybody have a favorite, less expensive mechanic. I've been quoted $1,400-$1,600 so far to replace it with a repaired 0331 casting. Repaired = welded together cracked head.

I just found the Alabama Cylinder Head site, so I'll probably try to get that part.

To bad I'm not ready to do a stroker...

0331 is a weak head casting and replacing it with another of the same casting is a bit silly. You may want to find a shop willing to fab up some brackets for your coil packs, since that is the major difference from the other, stronger, H.O. Head castings. Then get a head from a junkyard, and have it reworked, or get a rebuilt one. Since you aren't in a huge hurry, Search the forums a bit before you decide what to do. It could save you big bucks in the long run.

Sorry about the motor. You've probably saved the main bearings by shutting her down.

Another warrantied 0331 casting would be my pick as well. If youre going to do it yourself, you're in for an adventure...

This thread claims in 2003, Chrysler made a change to the casting, adding more beef to the water jacket. So make sure your new cylinder head is a 2003 and up TJ part. Having your old head off for comparison would be a great idea, you might be able to see a difference between #3 and #4 cylinders.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/861866/site_id/1#import

The 0630 cyl head will not properly fit the 2001 exhaust manifolds. An adapter plate sounds insane, but has been done.

There's no cats on the APN header. Where shall I put those two little wonderful sensors? (My least favorite thing about an 01.)

The only reason the stock exhaust manifold is still on the Jeep is those two little wonderful sensors. This is not a trailer queen. Passing emissions is pretty mandatory.

The Alabama Cylinder Head 0331 is 'supposed' to be beafed up. I haven't finished researching how beefed up it is.

Back