• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Write up on my Speedo cable replacement....

poorboy_616

NAXJA Forum User
Changing the speedometer cabel in an early XJ.

Sorry guys my camera was no worky when I put the new cable in. No pictures but should be easy to follow.....

Vehicle:

1987 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L
AW4/NP231

Tools needed:
An adjustable open end wrench
#2X6" Phillips screw driver
#1X4" Philips screw driver
Long Reach Needle nose pliers

Supplies:
New speedometer cable. Cherokees with cruise control use a two piece cable, the instructions for them is almost identical....
Mine does not have cruise, so I have the one piece cable...
Safety glasses to avoid great gobs of dirt damaging you eye balls. Or in the case of my Jeep, a full face mask to keep from eating dirt....

1) Raise and safely support the vehicle and open the hood.

2) Using the adjustable open end wrench, unscrew the the Speedometer cable from the Rear of the Transfer case.

3) Detach the speedometer cable housing from the lower control arm mount using the needle nose pliers to pull off the push nut. Now remove the lower portion of the cable from the transmission tunnel and let it drape on the ground.

4) In the cab, remove the four #2 Phillips head screws from the Instument Cluster trim panel. Two screws are located in the upper trim panel above the fuel guage and speedometer. The other two screws are located in above the cigar lighter and the headlamp switch. Gently remove the panel bny disengaging the slip fit fasteners by the radio and the HVAC controls. If you have an aftermarket stereo, remove it before you the cluster trim.

5) Remove the Instrument cluster by removing the 6 #1 Phillips screws from around the instrument cluster. Two screws are located above and below the "idiot" light panel and the other four are around the Gauge Cluster.

6) Gently pull the instrument cluster from the dash. You will only have about 2 inches of slack, so pull gently and you can draw the lower portion of the cable thru the grommet and into the cab. Now reach behind the I.C. and unplug the electrical connections. One dead center, the other on the "Idiot light" panel. Once the elctrical is disconnected, depress the tab on the speedometer cable and gently pull it from the instrument cluster.

7) Now from under hood, work the grommet out of the firewall and slide the cable out of the vehicle.

8) Now also from underhood, drop the new cable in between the firewall and the intake manfold. SLowly work the cable into the hole in the firewall. Once you have cable fed into the dash, go back in the cab.

9) Contorting yourself uncomfortably, reach up in to the dahs and feed the end of the cable thru the dash board support. Use the oblong hole where it was routed before.

10) now sit in the driver seat and pull the cable up far enough to connect it to the speedometer head. It helps to line up the flats on the cable with the flats in the speedometer drive.

11) Reconnect the electrical connecters to the back of the I.C. Now would also be a great time to check and replace the bulbs in the cluster. While I had the cluster out I noticed a couple loose screws on the plastic elctrical grid, I tightened these and now have slightly more accurate gauges.....

12) Slide the cluster into place in the dahs making sure to engage the studs next to the upper cluster screws.

13) now go back under the vehicle and route the new cable the same way as the old, down the firewall next to the lower control arm mount and in the trans tunnel to the tranfer case, making sure to avoid hot or moving parts. Reusing the metal clamp from the old line, secure the cable to the lower control arm bolt using the old push nut or use a new nut as I did.

14) Making sure cable flats are lined up with the flats in the speedometer gear, gently seat the cable onto the tranfer case. Now gently screw the nut down (using the adjustable open end wrench) onto the speedometer drive. Make sure it is seated fully and tightened snugly.

15) Back to cab we go! You may now re-install the I.C. mounting screws. Tighten them snugly or the cluster will vibrate and make noise.

16) Now you may re-install the Instrument cluster trim panel. Engage the two slip fit connectors and the four retaining screws. Don't forget to put you aftermarket stereo back in!!

17) Lower the vehicle and go for a drive! See the speedometer tell you how fast you are going.........

I did the exact same thing with two aftermarket speedo cables. One from Lordco, and one from NAPA. Both made the needle shake at certain speeds. I eventually took the one from NAPA out (the one I'm currently using) and put 3 in 1 oil down it, and it made it better but it's still there.. Argh. Nothing is kinked or binding it looks like. oh well.

Good writeup!

Thank you!! I was in the typing mood, plus I finished replacing the drive axles in the wifes minivan earlier and wrote that up too....

What a Biotch to contort myself in order to see under the dash....

One arthritic shoulder (from dislocating it), two slipped discs (car accident) and one ruptured disc (Detroit Diesel workers comp claim), all happened in the last ten years.....

I was in great pain the night I got the cable in.....

Here is the whole frackin thing....http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2275129/4

www.allpar.com won't let you even read articles unless you are a member, so I copied the whole thing to my cardomain pages....

Oh yeah, don't pick on me about the ghetto jack stands......(Frackin' meth heads, stealing my good shiznit......)

Yah, no kidding...

I have ramps to put the vehicles on, if I,m not pulling tires off....

Obviously, the Jeep went of the ramps.....

:soapbox: Meth heads......Pacific county has a major infestation of them.....There is one here by my place, I just love waking up to the smell of a meth lab in the morning.....

I had reported the location about two weeks ago and they came out a few days ago and posted an officer to watch the house.......about 2AM I heard nothing but sirens and cops yelling......So I think there gone now.....

THANK GOD!!!!!

Now they have moved to the Surfside housing developement......(from what the police dispatcher told me...)

Back