• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Switch or Key Lock Cylinder

akennedy99

NAXJA Forum User
So I was futzing around with the wiring harness that goes into the ignition switch and now I am having a starting problem.

When I turn the key to:
-ACC: Nothing Goes on
-Lock: Nothing
-ON: Nothing
-START: Lights go on like on should be.
-Back to ON: Lights stay the same

There is no spring back though, like there was before when you turn on the key. Does the Key lock cylinder or Ignition switch do the spring back?

I have always been able to pull the key out at any of the above stages without effecting the state of the vehicle.

Did I mess up the Ignition Switch or Key Lock Cylinder?

Thanks!

whats does FUTZING around mean? did you cut any wires? did you unplug the flat ignition cable? Look on the left side of the column to see if wires are in the way of anything. The moving parts and spring are on the opposite side of the ignition key hole inside the column.

Well I was trying to install a remote starter but didnt get the chance to finish it before coming back to college. I attached the main harness of it to all the starter/ACC/live wires but my car started dying like a week later so I kept jumping it and finaly I just cut it out today. But I was frustrated and pulled some wires out hard and heard some kind of crack and now the key doesn't seem to turn correctly. So now I have the problems above...

So when your in start, the lights come on but the starter doesn't run? Sounds like its way out of adjustment.

I dont know what makes it spring back. The ignition switch should just be a slider that allows continuity between circuits. The key lock cylinder should just turn a rod which moves the slider.. Ah maybe it is the switch?

Seriously if thats all you touched then its probably out of adjustment. Take the slack out of the rod with the key in the off-lock position and the ignition in the same, then bring it so its just taut.

So I got it running by pulling the ignition switch off totaly and taking a pair of pliers and turning it from stage to stage with that. Everything All worked this way. This is where the spring was for the starter. So I don't need that.

What is restricting this from turning in the column? What should I try next?

I broke a little brown plastic stick piece that went into the ignition switch. Is that a problem?

What the heck is going on?

Did you pull your wheel & stuff off, or just pry the lock cylinder out?

If you pulled it apart, does the metal rod move freely up & down?
It can be tricky getting the plastic pieces and that spring back together right. There are a couple diagrams floating around then net. They helped me change mine when I took it apart to tighten those three dang bolts that loosened up!

Back