• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need ASAP: Hood Release cable/handle - '98 Cherokee

chipw

NAXJA Forum User
My hood release cable broke off at the handle in my '98 Cherokee Sport, the dealer wants $150 for a new one, can't find one at any local wrecking yards. Does anyone have one they can sell right away and cheap?

chipw said:
My hood release cable broke off at the handle in my '98 Cherokee Sport, the dealer wants $150 for a new one, can't find one at any local wrecking yards. Does anyone have one they can sell right away and cheap?

when mine broke on my 89, i got a universal brake cable in the HELP section of the auto parts store.

the cable was a bit too long but with some minor mods i was able to get it to work. its been good for the past 6 years.

Try looking in the HELP section at the parts store. DORMAN Part # 912006 cost about $35. There is one on ebay current bid $9.99 s&h $8.00-http://cgi.ebay.com/97-01-Jeep-Cherokee-hood-release-cable_W0QQitemZ300219382904QQihZ020QQcategoryZ33646QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
Check with the guys in the AZ chapter. They'd be a lot more likely to have one they can get to you quickly.

Check our www.rockauto.com They always have had the best prices on parts i've needed for my jeep. You will have to have it shipped, but I looked up your release cable, and they want $33... not as good as the $24 from teamgrandwanoneer, but bookmark rock auto, I've ordered from them a lot and they always have great shipping... and great prices... but I live in a tiny town and i'm used to waiting for ordered parts to come in

$150!? Jesus....I paid around $40 for one that broke when I went to work on my neighbor's ZJ last year...bought it at the dealer too.

Can you get it open with a pair of plyers for now?

I am running one from an 85 on my 2K. Took about 10min to mod it but worth it.
The cable was free.
(dealer quoter ~90)

Back