• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Having yet another problem...

89cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
A very abnormal thing started last night when I was driving home from the gym. The Jeep at idle will run fun, all the suuden the voltage will drop down to around 9 volts, a wierd noise comes from underneath the dash (sounds like a belt squeaking) and then the voltage will all the sudden come back up and the Jeep will act normal. Not sure if the guage is just going out or what, I have no idea??

you sure the noise is coming from under the dash? were the windows down when you heard it?

thats exactly what happens when the bearings in an alternator start to go, it will lock up and stop turning for a second and the belt squeals on the pulley, then the voltage will come back up when it starts turning again.

I must have screwed that one up in the mud bog compettion. I mean the mud was only 4ft deep, I am sure it didn;t even touch the alternator..lol:) (sarcastically speaking). I will change the alternator and see what happens, what you guys are saying makes way too much sense...thanks!!!

Back