• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

urgent NSS help

Oil Town XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the middle of removing my NSS so I can clean it, I've read some right ups on how to do it. So now i've remove the top bolt and retaining nut but I just can't get the NSS off the tranny. I tried threading the retianing nut back on a little ways to pry it off but all I did was pry the nut off the bolt. Any body have advice for getting the NSS off.

Take the nut off and you will see some splines on the threads, soak the crap out of it with some PB blaster. Keep doing this a few times. Give it a few hours and then thread the nut back on and use the "pry method" again.

Mine would not pop until until I hit it with some PB blaster. Let is soak for a couple of hours then she popped right off on the next attempt.

I just did this maybe a week ago and had the same problem. Make sure that when your prying that whatever you are using isnt flush against the nss and tranny pan. I had to put a wrench under my screwdriver, and PB blaster helps too.

Mine would not come off without breaking. If I recall correctly, there are four aluminum threaded tabs which the large nut screws onto and compresses on the shaft. After the threads stripped, and all four tabs broke off, the NSS slid right off. I cleaned the internals and reinstalled with only the bolt holding it in place. Worked fine for a few weeks until I got a junkyard one to replace it. The junkyard one came off easily by the way...

Save your money and don't break it. They can be cleaned up and reinstalled. You'll probably want to open up a used one and clean/grease it anyway. The NSS stayed the same, although the connector and wire colors changed in 98 I think.

Try genly tapping it _in_ to break it loose.

lawsoncl said:
Save your money and don't break it. They can be cleaned up and reinstalled. You'll probably want to open up a used one and clean/grease it anyway. The NSS stayed the same, although the connector and wire colors changed in 98 I think.

Try genly tapping it _in_ to break it loose.
I don't really have a choice there's no thread left for the nut to go back on

Last edited:
Back