• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Main Seal Help

doinky72 said:
So I found a problem with my rig this weekend. The rear main is gone.

So from what I have seen and read on here and other sites is that you don't have to drop the tranny to install a new rear main.

Is that correct?

http://www.jeepin.com/features/rearmain/

I have a 95 xj 4.0 auto
No you do not. Just did mine on Saturday. Did not remove the tranny.

That sight is quite accurate. I have a 1997 -- so I don't know if any of these tips help, but here goes.

My old seal was stuck. Think hard about what you will use to "punch out" the old seal. A copper drift (i.e., punch) is highly advisable. You don't want to do any damage to the crank.

My oil pan had never been removed and there was no RTV around it. When the bolts were out it dropped just fine. However, pulling it out was difficult as the front of the pan was hung up on steering linkages, the front axle, etc. Two things helped me. First, turn the wheels to the left. This will move some of the linkages out of the way.

Second, with the Jeep on jackstands and the wheels completely off the ground and the front axle drooping -- it helps to put a jack under the front differential and raise the front axle few inches (i.e., 4-6). The front axle will still be drooping down -- it will just droop LESS. This will actually move the axle FORWARD just a little and give you the clearance you need to remove the pan. It will seem a little counterintuitive at first, but if you study it while you are under the Jeep, I think you will understand. Like I noted before, this may be less of a problem with a 95, but it helped greatly with my 97.

Finally, lube the new seal very well. As have many others on this board, I shaved my first seal and had to get a new one. It is a tight fit, but lube it well and it should go in.

torque specs for what?

oil pan bolts? dont know, i did it by feel and went back a week later to retorque.

bearing caps? 80ft lbs

doinky72 said:
Also do you guys know where I could find torque specs for this?

Thanks for the help!
Main caps are 40ft/lbs, 70ft/lbs, 80ft/lbs

Just take your time doing it. It's a filty dirty job, and it sucks!

Good luck.

PS Get all your parts from the dealer.

Yes. All OEM parts is definitely a must. Unless you want to do it a second time later. If you have a '97-up don't forget to put the main cap girdle back on either. I did and it's still waiting to be re-installed.

I did mine 3 years ago.

I need to do it again. I will go to the dealer for the seal. I will get the FELPRO one piece gasket and will be replacing the oil pump for good measure. I don't want to have to do it again. It was a B - - CH of a job, but I feel much more competent in doing it. It was the first project I ever did on the XJ.

Torque specs are in Haynes and/or Chilton manual.

As others have already said, no need to drop the transmission. I did have to disconnect the tracbar on mine to get the axle out of the way. I too shaved my first upper gasket, and had to head to the store for another. I used FelPro for both the rear main, and the oil pan. Ended up throwing away the pants that I had on as they were trashed! It's a pretty straight forward project to tackle though.

DanMan2k06 said:
Yes. All OEM parts is definitely a must. Unless you want to do it a second time later. If you have a '97-up don't forget to put the main cap girdle back on either. I did and it's still waiting to be re-installed.
Meh. Skip the OEM and go for the NAPA Gold one-piece.

96+ have the main bearing girdle. It's a very nice feature to add strength to the bearing caps and reduce NVH in the engine.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

doinky72 said:
double ribbed RMS?
Fel-Pro P/N BS40612, Double Lip Rear Main Crankshaft Oil Seal, 1987-2000 4.0L

Has two lips instead of the stock single lip. Also if the crank has a bit of a groove or other erosion where the old seal touched it the double lip one can sort of straddle that area.

X2 on the one piece Felpro pan gasket.

here's a few other tips I copied from various threads around here:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

5-90

I don't usually use soap - when I do a rear main, the first thing I do is pour a small parts bin full of clean engine oil and throw the seal it.

You may want to inspect the sealing surface of the crank rather more thoroughly - use a fingernail to feel for a groove. If you can feel it, it will probably cause a leak.

As far as the seal lip, it's going to be fairly flimsy. There's not a lot of pressure behind that seal (and make sure you install it the right way around - the little "V" under the lip should be toward the INSIDE of the engine!) because most of the pressure will bleed off through the forward bearing gap. Granted, there's a little more there than there is behind an axle seal, but it's still not so much (try sealing a power steering box!)

I'm not sure of the utility of lubricating the seal, but I feel better doing it, and it's not caused me any trouble, so I see no reason to stop doing it. The clean oil you used to soak the seal can just be poured right into the engine...

5-90

this time i would like to use gasket sealer to glue it so it stays in place.should it be glued(using the "right stuff")to the block 1st?or to the pan?

Apply a thin bead to the engine side of the gasket, and stick it in place. Once it's up, apply a thin bead to the other side.

I find it helpful to have abour four studs in place to keep everything aligned while you're working - it saves wrestling. Valve cover studs for Small Block Chevvy will work just fine - you'll only need four (six if you really want...)
5-90

On getting the one piece seal to stay put so you have no movement while installing the pan. I never thought of Right Stuff.

I have used with great success the semi permanent Hi-Tack (yellow). You glue the engine side of seal, take the oil pan bolts and bolt the seal up fingertight overnight. Next day remove the bolts and install the oilpan....gasket wont go anywhere. Obviously this takes a bit longer, but i have no worries the seal will move before i get the pan secured in place.

John B, I think talking about someone who shaved a bit off the seal on the edge of the block while trying to slide it in.

Get another. It has to be lubed very well. I used something called Syl Glide on mine. 5-90 soaks that upper seal in a small cup of motor oil for a long time

Back