• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need someone to tell me if my tcase is shot

jonnywong

NAXJA Forum User
95xj ax15 np231 3" lift powertrax noslip.

Went out the other night and couldnt get it to engage in 4lo, only 2hi and 4hi. Came back, parked it and let it sit for awhile, started it up and went into 4lo just fine.

Then today, i drove to the trail ok, went to put it in 4 lo and worked for a little ways then all the sudden just started grinding the gears like crazy. I was on a flat part of the trail driving normal in 1st gear and it just started grinding. now 2hi, 4hi, and of course 4lo wont work at all, just grinds. I also noticed what seems to be a bit of a leak at the rear output of the tcase. It is wet all around the seal there and on the unibody, which might be a bad seal. Anybody got any suggestions or do i need a new tcase/rebuild?

I would check the adjustment on the tcase linkage first. That is the most common, especially if the tranny mount and or engine mounts are getting worn.

My OE owners manual states that in order for you to shift into 4LO, you need to have the trans (auto) in neutral and be rolling at less than 8MPH...

I have done 10-15 MPH but my NP231 doesn't like it.....

BTW, I tried it in gear, NO WAY was it going to go in without a fight....Just to much movement with the tranny in gear....

Ok, but i have never had this problem before and everytime previously that i have shifyted into 4lo i have been pretty much at a dead stop and its worked no problem. But thats not really the issue here. Its that when i do get it into 4lo, it just slips out shortly after and starts grinding and then will not engage into anything. I have not yet checked the linkage, im hoping its something as easy as that. Also sort of looks like my rear driveshaft has been pulled out a bit more than ussual if that would mean anything. I have no SYE and no tc drop. also this is a 4.0 HO. Thanks for the responses ill do a search on tcase linkage

Back