• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think my belt is routed wrong (cooling issue)

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
so here is a sweet drawing of how my belt is set up. haynes doesn't even show this setup for accesories

engine.jpg

(if you can't tell the arrows are pointing in a clockwise rotation)
I have been having issues with cooling recently to the point where it has gone into the red. I did an engine swap a while back and I am pretty sure it's a 91 I6 4.0 that I used my original (96) accesories on.
I ran it for a while today and the temp got up to 210 (electric fan refuses to come on anymore) and then shut it down, felt the upper and lower hoses and they were Ice cold, but I did hear the coolant draining. when I squeezed the upper hose I could hear the radiator cap wheezing (mopar 16psi)

When we did the swap we went through 4 different belts and this one finally fit with the routing we used any ideas what's wrong????? also this would mean I have a reverse rotation water pump right? maybe that's it?

I have searched for the past three days but thanks to my 3 week old daughter and job search my brain is fried

Cliff Notes:
overheats
coolant a nasty rust/brown after 3k miles
heat goes in and out
e fan not working
upper and lower hoses REAL cold

forgot to add, radiator, senders, t-stat, hoses all new 3k ago

engine was a rebuilt jasper with about 1k on it, still looked new when i put it in

According to my 91, your idler pulley is in the wrong area. Don't know how they are set up on a 96 though. The belt loops around the crank over the fan down to the alt. up over the a/c down under the idler over the p/s around the water pump. That is how they are routed on my heep. The belt turns in a clockwise direction from the crank. the water pump it self turns in a counter clockwise direction. Hope this helps. Victor

Well, here's a shot of the belt routing sticker off my 99:

1001020wb3.jpg

Not sure if it's different on a 96, but I don't think it would be.

so my setup is exactly like a 99 I guess........and if I have a 91 engine and they have regular rotating w/ps then I need to get a reverse? that would explain why the hoses were cold then right?

doug

I have a 96 sport, got it with a shot engine.....bought a rebuilt engine of some dude in jersey, said it was an 88 at first then when I got down there he said it was a 91, so I swapped it in and kept the original 96 acessories

w/p p/s and idler pulley on right side
jeep001.jpg

my main question is, since the belt goes under the water pump it should be a reverse rotation and would it spinning the wrong way cause all my other problems

also....anyone know where these connect to? from drivers side of engine, both connected to the block
jeep006.jpg

it's the one it came with

guess I should buy the one that spins in the right direction, but how would this stop my e fan from turning
:cheers:

the one that came on the 91, so I would imagine it has a 91 water pump which spins opposite of a 96

yeah the electric fan, i guess auxillary fan would be the correct name, it just stopped turning on, I have read that people just wire it into their fog light switch and run it manually, figure I will grab a 12v battery and some clips and test it first

H8PVMT said:
yeah the electric fan, i guess auxillary fan would be the correct name, it just stopped turning on, I have read that people just wire it into their fog light switch and run it manually, figure I will grab a 12v battery and some clips and test it first

Ok was wondering what you meant. But yeah I just put a toggle switch on mine so I can turn it on when ever.

just a couple of thoughts I know the t stat was changed but it almost sounds like a sticky t stat. From what I read around here the elec fan starts at 220 but that switch is on the rad, if the t stat was stuck closed no e fan, I think

Also if you pull the hose off the water pump can you see the impeller? then you could figure out direction

...and to further confuse you... these engine/cooling systems do have a tendency to cavitate (suck air) when you refill them with coolant unless you take extra precautions ie: refill it through a disconnected upper hose until it run out the t-stat housing .

Back